Text Box:

Williamson Homestead Transformed into Ski Area Retail Businesses

 

These photos show how the Jack Frost Ski Shop and Barking Dawg grocery and pizza store stand on the homestead lot of the former Williamson farm  - opposite the access road to the Summit Hotel. 

In the right corner foreground of photo # 2, one can see the remains of stone foundation for the Williamson barn.  The Barking Dawg building (blue) stands about where the Williamson house was located before it burned in 1924.

In 1947, Richard Williamson built a camp for his mother, Esther, that was used recently to house the New York Pizza business.  The camp stood where the Barking Dawg does now. 

The 1850 census counted 10 people in the Williamson house: William, his wife Eliza and four of their children came from Ireland while the four youngest children were born in Maine.  The youngest son Richard M., inherited the farm and lived there until he died in 1923.  The family of Richard’s grandson, Harry, were living at the farm in 1924 when the house  burned.  No Williamsons lived at the farm after that. 

Harry’s family temporarily boarded at the Eames farm then returned to the lot known as “Hidden Acre” where Harry built a log cabin for his family to live.  There was a dilapidated camp building already on the lot.  After 1930 the family moved to Upton. 

 

Read the Williamsons of Bethel and Newry

 

1

2

3

4

Photo key:

 

1. Williamson Homestead buildings—facing the Sunday River Road and Skiway Rd passed to the rear of the buildings.

2. Barking Dawg and Jack Frost Ski Shop occupy the former homestead land.

3. Harry (L) and Earl Williamson circa 1914.

4. Stone foundation for Williamson barn.

Text Box: A Brief History of Sunday River
The Williamson Farm