Text Box:

From top down:  Crosby home in 1931, a second view in 1936, Red House Farm Village in 2008

Rectangular Callout: Main House ”The Red House”

 

The original homestead as it appears in the upper photos probably grew section by section over the years to the connected farm buildings of 1930’s appearance.

 

In 1850, Jesse Barker, one of the original Sunday River settlers (1781) was living here at age 88.  Jesse was a Revolutionary War veteran; he is buried in the Sunday River Cemetery.  His daughter, Mary Barker Atherton is buried at Mr. Will Cemetery.

THE RED HOUSE

Before the Sunday River boom in vacation and ski home construction began in the 1980’s, “The Red House” which was then owned by the descendants of  Howell and Daisy Crosby was the longest building in Sunday River.  Date it started is uncertain.  Newry Profiles thinks that Fred and Charles Atherton built the double (two family) house in the late 1800’s. However, the 1850 census lists Josiah Atherton and his wife Mary Barker Atherton living generally here and they were boarding Jesse Barker.  1858 map of Sunday River and the 1850 census seem to disagree; however, on the map in 1858 Josiah Atherton was living at Swan’s Corner in Bethel.

George Atherton received deed to property in 1856.  Paulus and Louise Lowe then owned the home in 1902 and they sold to the Crosby’s in 1916, stayed in one end of the house.  By 1918 the house was painted red with white trim.  The Lowes left in 1921 ; Jim  and Bessie Reynolds moved in.

George  and Mary Atherton are buried in the Sunday River Cemetery.  Most of the other family members are buried at Mt. Will Cemetery.  The Lowes and the Crosby’s are  buried in Bethel at Riverside Cemetery.

The last of the Crosby descendants sold the property in 1994.  Steve and Peggy Wight acquired it in 1998; and the Red House Farm  Village development was started two years later.

Rectangular Callout: Red House Farm Village development
Text Box: A Brief History of Sunday River
Barker-Atherton-Lowe—Crosby House