BETHEL MAINE HISTORY—THE BETHEL JOURNALS—1967 NEWS HIGHLIGHTS
April 17, 2012
1967 Highlights—Bricks, mortar and steel— S.A.D. 44’s Telstar Campus Goes Up
Bids were being sought for the construction of the junior-senior high school of SAD 44. The directors approved a total school budget of $790,000. Of this amount $321,000 was to be raised by member towns
Rudolf A. Honkala, husband of a former Bethel girl, Barbara Hastings, was on his third research expedition in the Antarctic.
Renovations were underway at the former Bennett’s Garage property preparatory to its utilization as a shoe factory, reportedly to employ 25-30 people.
It was announced that Gould Academy interests had acquired the Bethel Inn and Thunderbird Motor Inn properties.
Michael Houlihan announced his resignation as Bethel Town Manager. Local manager since April of 1962, Mr. Houlihan assumed similar duties at Freeport.
It was announced that a new A. & P. Store would be constructed at a Railroad Street location.
The directors of SAD 44 accepted a bid of $1,742,063 to construct the new junior-senior high school. Brown Construction Co. of Portland was awarded the contract. The name of “Telstar Regional High School” was chose as the name of the new facility.
Rev. Robert Jackson and Mrs. Musa S. Brown were elected directors of SAD 44 from Bethel. Rodney Eames was re-elected as Bethel selectman and assessor.
A new zoning ordinance was also passed at the annual town meeting.
The Whitney place on Railroad Street, Bethel, was razed to clear the site for the proposed new A. & P. store.
Dale Thurston was elected president of the newly organized Bethel Lions Club
Blaine D. Moores was appointed resident manager of the Bethel Inn.
Vance Richardson was named assistant headmaster at Waynflete School, Portland. Mr. Richardson had been at Gould since 1947, and had served as senior master since 1959.
A Gould sophomore, Miss Beverly York, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald York of Bethel, was elected State President of the Future Homemakers of America.
Gardiner Brown of Bethel was fatally injured when his car was in collision with a freight train at West Bethel.
Edmond J. Vachon was elected Treasurer of the Bethel Savings Bank. Kimball Ames, treasurer since 1956, was named President.
About 70 attended Charter Night festivities of the Bethel Lions Club at the Masonic Hall.
Construction started at the site of the Telstar Regional High School.
By a vote of 160-76, Bethel voters approved the formation of the Bethel Water District. The purchase of a vehicle for the use of the night police officer was approved.
Due to the lack of a general chairman, the Bethel Health and Service Council announced that the annual Bethel Bazaar (Mollyocket Day) was cancelled.
The L. & F. Country Store at West Bethel moved to their new building.
Samuel Bigelow was appointed assistant headmaster of Gould Academy.
Dana G. Brooks, Albert W. Buck, and Dan W. Manson were appointed as trustees of the recently authorized Bethel Water District.
Riverside Farms announced that they were discontinuing the delivery of milk at the end of the month.
James R. Bennett, formerly of Locke Mills, was named visiting instructor of music at the University of Evansville, Indiana.
Clarence “Bud” Howe and Robert Lucas of Bethel attended the national convention of the Professional Photographers of America.
Rev. George Stebbins assumed duties as pastor of the Bethel and Rumford Center Methodist Churches. He and Mrs. Stebbins had served as missionaries in Vietnam. Mrs. Stebbins is a teacher in Woodstock, SAD 44. They have four children.
The new bridge over the Androscoggin River in Bethel was open. The old structure, in use since 1928, was being dismantled
Mrs. Sharon A. Kaiser was promoted to first lieutenant, Army Nurse Corps, at Ft. Devens, Mass. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gary York, Bethel.
Larry Smith joined the Mundt-Allen American Legion Post, the first Vietnam veteran to do so.
Work was progressing rapidly on construction of new quarters for Western Maine Supply Co., on Cross Street. It was expected to be in use by the spring of 1968.
The State Liquor Store moved to its new location on Railroad Street, Bethel.
A loss of $25,000 was estimated as fire destroyed a barn and shed and gutted the kitchen area at the Harold Carver farm in Skillingston
It was announced that Fred Burk would be director of Sunday River Ski School during the 1967-1968 season.
PO Box 763
Bethel, Maine 04217