The Bethel Journals

Donald G. Bennett

PO Box 763

Bethel, Maine 04217


The Bethel Journals

October 22, 2009

Now in its fourth year







Bethel, Maine

Ruth Carver Ames


Ruth Carver Ames was born in Skowhegan, Maine, May 31, 1903, the daughter of R. Freemont and Winona Polard Homested. She graduated from Skowhegan High School in 1920 and from Farmington Normal School in 1922.

She came to Bethel in 1923 to teach in the Brick Grammar School and in 1924 married Irving L. Carver, a prominent Bethel businessman. They had four children: Priscilla, Nancy, Catherine and Irving.

Following her husband's death in 1942, she carried on and expanded his oil business until it was sold to Luce Oil Company in 1960. She married Kimball Ames in 1944.

Mrs. Ames was a member of the West Parish Congregational Church and the order of Eastern Star. She was a retired trustee of the Bethel Library Association and was long active in the Rumford Hospital Auxiliary. She was also very involved in other community organizations and served on the Bethel Planning Board from 1957 to 1969. She was a life member of the Bethel Historical Society.

In 1975 she was awarded the Bethel Chamber of Commerce Senior Citizen's Award for her many years of community service.


The 1984 Town of Bethel Annual Report was dedicated to Mrs. Ames in recognition of her long, outstanding, productive community service.



The photo of Mrs. Ames was copied from the 1984 Bethel Town Report.


The Carver Oil Company photo was copied from the 1931 Special Edition of the Oxford County Citizen.  1n 1884, Edwin Rowe constructed the company’s building as a general store.  Irving Carver was Mr. Rowe’s heir; he converted the business use of the building. 

During Mr. Rowe’s ownership the store’s second floor was furnished as a hall for public events and known as Ideal Hall. Town Meetings and musical performances were held there during the late 1880’s and 1890’s. At times the  hall was also called or referred to as The Opera House.

Circa 1986, the building was converted to condominiums named Opera House Condominiums and has remained that way until today (2009).