Ellery C. Park was born in Mexico, Maine January 7, 1864. He was educated in the public schools, Farmington Normal School, Dixfield and Hebron Academies.

Mr. Park came to Bethel in 1887 and has been active in public interests since. He was admitted to the Oxford County Bar in 1890 and the same year married Miss Mary Stearns of Paris. They have one daughter, Mrs. Harry Mason of Boston.

In 1890, Mr. Park became associated with Judge Herrick of this town and with his partner has been in the practice of law continuously and with no small measure of success since that time. This is the oldest legal firm in Oxford County.  Their law office was located in the Cole Block.

Mr. Park served two terms as county attorney. He has been cashier of the Bethel National Bank since 1905 when it was organized and sound financial judgment has done much to give this institution its present high rating.

In politics he is a Republican, was chairman of the Republican County Committee in 1898 and 1899 and chairman of the Republican town committee for six years.  For many years Mr. Park has been a member and treasurer of the Board of Trustees of Gould Academy. He is president of the Bethel Lions Club.

In 1893 Mr. and Mrs. Park purchased the Pinckney Burnham place on Church Street and live here in their beautiful home filled with choice books and surrounded by well-kept gardens. Also that year Mr. Park was elected Treasurer of the Bethel Chair Co.

In the 1908 for the dedication of the Civil War Soldier monument, Ellery Park was the presiding officer of the ceremony.  In 1917 Park was chairman of a Liberty Loan Committee  formed to encourage the purchase of bonds.  In 1919 Ellery Park was secretary of the committee formed to develop a way to honor veterans of World War I.

THE BETHEL JOURNALS—BETHEL MAINE HISTORY AND NEWS

Ellery C. Park   Bethel Maine Attorney

 

Ellery C. Park

1864-1949

On October 24, 1912 when The Bethel Inn corporation was founded, Ellery C. Park became clerk of the new corporation with 10 shares of stock. Its purpose was to erect and operate buildings for a hotel and private club.

On March 30, 1925 Ellery C. Park prepared the deed executed by William Bingham 2d to transfer the so-called water shed property on Barker Mountain in Newry to the Bethel Water Company. Mr. Park’s signatures on the deed witnessed Mr. Bingham’s signature and authenticated the document as Justice of the Peace.

 

The Park home on Church Street. During the 1940s on, the Park’s daughter, Muriel , who married Harry Mason also lived in the same house.  Gould Academy acquired the house upon Muriel’s death.

The Bethel Journals is a completely free publication of Bethel area history and local news prepared especially for the Web.

The Bethel Journals

PO Box 763

Bethel, Maine 04217

www.thebetheljournals.info

Sources for this article include the Special 1931 Illustrated Edition of the Oxford County Citizen, Oxford County newspapers, Bethel Water District archives and the Oxford County Registry of Deeds. Bethel Maine, A Brief History by Stanley R. Howe.