Text Box: The large furniture shop in this place is owned by L. W. Russell, is well supplied with machinery and possesses good water power. In years past Mr. Russell has done a large business, but owing to poor health does little except custom work. The blacksmith shop built and occupied by V. A. Dunn is now occupied by Mr. Virgin in his business. The house on the hill, built by Lewis Bryant, is now owned by William Clark. Mr. Clark is engaged in the poultry business and his small farm shows the result of his energy. 
Gilman and Perry Blake occupy the house once owned by Hiram Hodgdon. They formerly owned five farms on Blake hill, one of which is now in the hands of Emery Young. 
One of the old land marks is the house once owned by Hosea Ripley, and sold at his death to (Rufus) Virgin; this has also been rebuilt and improved. 
The farm formerly owned by Jonathan Abbott and now the property of his son Gayton, is rented by Albert Copeland. The family of six children is scattered over the country; the eldest son, Stephen, was well known in the town as a promising young man, and his capabilities and energy have won him a good place among the business men of Denver. The present owner of the place is also a resident of Colorado, but has recently bought a ranch and again tries his hand at farming. 
Among the best herds in this section is one of Jerseys owned by Edgar Chase, who lives at home with his father, John Chase on the place cleared and built by John Cushman in Bethel's early history.   This place, afterward owned by his son Ira, was exchanged by him with John Chase, for the one below the school house now occupied by I. A. Cushman, who has a good herd of cows and keeps a great many swine. 
Text Box: The Walker house on the left is an 1896 photo—photo right, 2008, is what remains of the same buildings. This is the Walker, Burnham, Virgin, Cummings house originally owned by James Walker.  In 1959 the house was owned by Agnes Walker. (Eva Bean, East Bethel Road)

2

>

<