THE BETHEL JOURNALS—1911 NEWS OF INTEREST

LABORATORY ANNEX FOR

GOULD’S ACADEMY

Is Almost in Sight. Quick Response in Recent Appeal

March 23, 1911

 

In a recent issue of the Citizen attention was called to the urgent need of an annex to Gould’s Academy to be used for a chemical and physical laboratory. A subscription list was opened through the columns of this paper, and an invitation extended to all interested parties to come down and help us.”

That call was met with quick and generous response as can be seen from the list below. A hearty thanks is extended to all who have contributed and the invitation is extended to all friends and alumni of the school to aid in this much needed equipment for the old Academy.

It is estimated that the completed annex will cost $1,200. hence there is still opportunity for many more contributors to have a part in this work.

CONTRIBUTORS TO DATE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Charles K. Fox, $100

J.G. Gehring, 100

J.M. Philbrook, 40

A.E. Herrick, 25

J.U. Purington, 10

E.C. Bowler, 20

D.S. Hastings, 10

F. H. Tuell, 10

Agnes H. Straw, 25

Beth Walker, 25

F.L. Edwards, 25

N.H. Springer, 20

Mrs. O.M. Mason, 20

J.C. Billings, 5

M.M. Hastings, 10

W.E. Bosserman, 5

H.H. Hastings, 5

F. B. Merrill, 5

E.C. Park, 10.

H.A. Packard, 5

E.E. Whitney, 5

Ernest Walker, 10

N.F. Brown, 10

 

Total to Date:  $510.

 

 

 

 

 

A GIFT TO GOULD’S ACADEMY

 

Principal F. E. Hanscom has received from the Copley Art Gallery of Boston an oil portrait of Abraham Lincoln, a gift to Gould’s Academy from Charles K. Fox of Haverhill, Mass.  It was Mr. Fox, who generously headed the subscription list for a Laboratory Fund, and this new gift place the school under still greater obligations to him. 

_____________________________________

Gould’s Laboratory Nearly Completed

September 8, 1911

In the Oxford Democrat’s Bethel news

The laboratory which is being erected in connection with Gould’s Academy is nearly completed.

 

______________________________________

BETHEL MACHINE CO.

May 2, 1911

 

The “Bethel Machine Co.” will open about the first of May a repair shop and garage in the shops on Mechanic Street formerly occupied by J.C. Billings.

 

May 25, 1911

 

The new machine shop is busy. Several autos have changed owners the past week. Albert Frost has purchased a machine of Horace Andrews. Jameson Finney bought Irving Carver’s and “Ben” Brown bought Jesse Chapman’s, and Dr. Tibbetts has a new one of latest model purchased of E.C. Bowler.

 

______________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

VAN TELEPHONE COMPANY NEWS

May 2, 1911

 

Mr. Alphonse Vandenkerckoven has sold his mail and express business to Mr. Harry King.

 

Mr. Elmer Young is building an addition to his block on Main Street which will be used by Mr. Vandenkerckoven as a telephone office.

May 25, 1911

 

Mr. Al Van Den Kerckoven has announced that his new store will be open to the public May 25. This is a new building next to the  post office and he will keep a first-class line of potted plants for decoration, jardinières, vases, etc., in fact everything to  be found in an up-to-date flower store. The telephone exchange will also be moved into this building and Mr. Van Den Kerckoven will also attend to his insurance business here.

 

_______________________________________

 

 

 

 

Prof. Wm R. Chapman Buys Wiley Block

August 29, 1911

 

Prof. Wm. R. Chapman has purchased of Mrs. Wiley the property known as Swift’s Block, which includes the post office building.

 

_______________________________________

 

Lights Go Out—Fire at Springer’s Mill

December 12, 1911

 

Thursday afternoon the ladies of the Congregational Society held their annual sale of fancy and useful articles particularly adapted for Christmas gifts. At 6:15 a supper consisting of roast chicken, vegetables and pastry was advertised, but an event not on the program delayed the serving for a short time. 

Just after five o’clock as the ladies were busy arranging the supper the Springer mill whistle blew and off went the electric lights.  Private residences, stores and the post office were left in darkness as there proved to be a fire in the engine room of the mill.

The fire companies responded quickly and with all the promptness possible Mr. Springer had the pipe attached to another boiler and the coming on of the lights was received with enthusiasm.

 

_____________________________________

 

Packard Family—Noted for Characters in Cooper Novel—”The Spy”

News from Middle Interval

August 29, 1911

 

Daniel Packard who is buried in the family lot near Bryant Pond (Buckfield) served in the Revolutionary War and he and his wife are characters represented in “The Spy” by James Fenimore Cooper.* 

The daughter of Mrs. Martha D. Wright (nee Packard) who has been here for a week or more resting and taking in the beauties of nature has returned to her home in Roxbury, Mass., to care for her invalid mother who is now the last surviving one in the Stephen Packard family that once lived near Bryant Pond.  Daniel Packard is the great-grandfather of Stephen Packard.  (Oxford Democrat)

 

 

THE BETHEL JOURNALS

Po Box 763

Bethel, Maine 04217

____________________

 

This news was obtained from Bethel and County newspapers in collections of the Bethel Historical Society

 

___________________

* Daniel Packard lived in Buckfield. According to the History of Buckfield,  J. Fenimore Cooper made Daniel and his wife, an Irish girl, principal characters in his story “The Spy”.  “At the outbreak of the Revolution (Daniel) went into the army and served on the Hudson. “His wife followed him and carried on the business of a sutler.” In The Spy, Cooper modeled two of his principal characters “Sergt. Hollister and Betty Flanigan”, on the Packards.  The Buckfield history confirms this from comments made by other personalities in the Boston area.