James H. Barrows: President and general manager of The Bethel Chair Company; letter to editor about the proposed relocation of the county seat; Commander of Brown Post, G.A.R.
Gilman P. Bean: Elected Auditor for the town accounts in 1893.
A.S. Bean: Large land owner, industrialist and merchant in West Bethel and Mason.
John W. Bennett: Mill owner, lumberman and post master of Gilead—views on move of county seat.
Calvin Bisbee: Merchant in Bethel, building new house and farm on Clark Street .
Nathanial F. Brown: Re-elected Supervisor of Schools; appointed to building committee for new school planned on High Street.
Miss E.E. Burnham: Milliner in Bethel who had moved her retail store to the new Cole Block from the Kimball Block.
Abiel Chandler, Jr.: Correspondent for both the Oxford Democrat and Advertiser.
John B. Chapman: Elected third selectman of Bethel in 1893; undertook job of superintendent of sewer construction works on Main and High Streets in Bethel village.
Eber Clough: of Bethel died. Mr. Clough was one of the oldest citizens of Bethel and highly respected. He had held many offices in town and represented his district in the legislature.
Elmer D. Cole: In partnership with his brother, Fred, had built the Cole Block which during 1893 it had become apparent was not going to succeed financially; placed on auction but not sold; eventually surrender the building to Bethel Savings Bank in lieu of foreclosure.
Fred H. Cole: brother of Elmer D. Cole—see above.
Col. Clark S. Edwards: On Maine Board of Managers for the World’s Fair in Chicago—World’s Columbian Exposition; Col Edwards was quoted or mentioned in the news continually during the summer and fall of 1893 in connection with the fair.
Henry Farwell: Elected first selectman of Bethel.
Judge Enoch Foster: As a judge on the Maine circuit he was mentioned often throughout the year as he presided over various Maine court sessions.
Albert W. Grover: Sold his farm in West Bethel and moved to Bethel village; correspondent to the Advertiser.
David R. Hastings 2nd: In partnership with other members of the Hastings family who were engaged in lumbering, mill operations and administration of the town of Hastings.
Addison E. Herrick, Esq.: In 1893 elected to slate of town officers as town (legal) agent.
Huse Bros.: The Huse Bros. were tenants in the Cole Block and operated a dry goods business in the front rooms of the main floor; in 1893, the closed their business and left their rent.
Eben S. Kilborn: Appointed to the building committee for the new town school to be built on High Street; well known mill operator, land owner, lumberman.
Israel G. Kimball: Elected Road Commissioner in 1893; had been selectman and tax collector.
Miss Phila G. Locke died: she and her sister operated the Locke Mountain House which was a well known summer boarding house farm.
Moses A. Mason: Grandson of Moses Mason, Jr., who had come to Bethel in 1799 and established the Mason homestead farm at the gateway to Mayville, the lakes district and point north sold his farm and left to visit the World’s Fair. Mason sold his farm to Charles Ryerson of Upton. The Mason farm included the holdings of both the Riverside Trotting Park and the Bethel Agricultural Fair.
W.S. Parker: Parker’s furniture store in the Cole Block was one of the Coles major tenants. Parker sold his stock or turned it over to Elmer Cole and left for work in a chair factory at South Waterford.
John M. Philbrook: Bethel’s most active dealer in livestock sold the land on High Street to the town for its planned new brick school. Philbrook was in the process of establishing his home on Main Street while leaving his North Bethel farm to the management of his son. Philbrook made the news almost weekly due to his shipping cattle and hogs to the Brighton market in Boston.
Dana C. Philbrook: Son of Samuel D. Philbrook; in 1893 Dana built a new home on Mechanic Street in Bethel; he was a jeweler and bicycle sales agent. A major setback occurred in December when his new house burned and he opened a new jewelry store in the Cole building.
Josiah U. Purington: Elected town treasurer in 1893; appointed to the school building committee with N.F. Brown and Eben S. Kilborn; elected Secretary of the board of directors for The Bethel Chair factory. Previously, Purington was a partner of Enoch Woodbury in business at the rail depot.
Joshua G. Rich: Correspondent for the Oxford Advertiser; Justice of the Peace; Rich was called on frequently in Bethel to hear and rule on cases of breaking the law; Rich was an avid bear hunter who also raised rabbits for sale.
John Stiles: Made the 1893 news when he left his employment as farm manager for Gilman P. Bean in West Bethel and took over managing the stable of Prof. William Rogers Chapman in Mayville.
Jacob A. Thurston: Along with John W. Bennett in Gilead and Alpheus Bean in West Bethel, Thurston was one of the area’s Captains of Industry; his family lived at Newry Corner. Thurston in 1893 setup and operated a steam saw mill at Swan’s Corner in North Bethel. Also in 1893 Thurston was elected Clerk of the Town of Newry.
E. L. Tibbetts: Owner and president of the spool and dowel mill as Locke Mills; Tibbetts had just recovered his mill from ownership by the American Spool, Shuttle and Bobbin Company when the 1893 “depression” in the markets occurred. He was in the news as out seeking new business.
Samuel B. Twitchell: In 1893 Twitchell was elected Bethel’s tax collector and he was also president of the Bethel Dairy Association which owned the butter and creamery factory. Twitchell, at age 64, due to his years of public service in many positions, was likely considered the most experienced, wise and competent public official in the town. He had been a member of the 1868 bridge committee for the great covered (toll) bridge and a member of the chair factory building committee.
Horatio N. Upton: Elected second selectman in Bethel; related to the main stem of Bethel’s Chapman family, Upton had first served with distinction on the school committee of 1890.
Goodwin R. Wiley: In 1893 Wiley was in the news for building a new post office next to his store on Main Street. He was Bethel’s pharmacist and one of the directors of Gould Academy. He was Superintendent of the Academy and Grounds and Secretary to the Board of Directors.
Judge Enoch Woodbury: In his retirement, Woodbury was in the news for his letter to the editor of the Democrat on moving the county seat, master of ceremonies at various functions, going on vacation to Pennsylvania.
Cyrus M. Wormell: As deputy sheriff, he was in the news for making arrests in cases of rowdiness, etc., and for his role as president of the Riverside Trotting Park Association.
End of Names in the News for 1893
The Bethel Journals
1893 Journal—Names in the News
November 2, 2007
Names in the news covers Androscoggin valley personalities from Gilead and Hastings to Bethel and Newry who were active in business, school, public administration, politics and social life during 1893.