Text Box: The Bethel Journals
THE 1892 JOURNAL
Part IV:  October – December
Posted: May 3, 2007

  

 

 

 

    

 

 
 

 

 

 

 


October 1892 -  the second annual Bethel Fair acclaimed; fall elections under Australian ballot publicly accepted; Columbus Day observed; Rumford Falls boom has gained statewide notice; Bethel creamery/ butter factory took shape.

 

 

October 4, 1892

 

Special Column reprinted in the Oxford Democrat by C.E. Ludden who wrote the original article for the New England Farmer.

 

Why not Boom Maine?

 

A veritable Western Boom has Descended on the Pine Tree State.

 

Article describes the boom times that occurred in the Rumford Falls area. Some main points are: The Androscoggin valley is noted for its fine intervales. A few miles from Canton, capitalists are putting a new city together where only a year ago a howling wilderness existed. Millions of dollars will be laid out here this year. A new railroad has been built into the town, one of the world’s largest pulp mills will be operating in the fall of 1892. Boarding houses, stores, dwellings and buildings are going up on every hand.  Click here to read the complete article.

 

Bethel:  J.G. Riche, Esq., has moved from his former farm in Greenwood into our village. He recently purchased the Chapman house on Spring Street and will occupy it. 

 

The “Farmer’s Daughter” was played at the Opera House and enjoyed by those present.

 

Columbus Day:  In 1892, President Benjamin Harrison issued a presidential proclamation commemorating the 400th anniversary of Columbus discovery of America and establishing public observances of this event.  The Democrat reported a number of observances in the Bethel area.

 

West Bethel: Winter apples are well colored and are being gathered in. Porters are selling for $1.50 per barrel.  Apple and hen thieves are among us. Amos Scribner and Dexter Mills have already suffered from their night depredations.  A.W. Grover and E.B. Shaw are getting our part of a car load of cedar posts for Aston of Shelburne, NH. 

 

North Albany:  Quite a party from here visited the Greenwood Caves. The caves are a great curiosity - they deserve more renown than fall to their share.

 

Locke Mills: D.M. Goes is loading his poplar on the cars. He sold it to A.M. Dudley of Bryant’s Pond. The boys have great sport coasting down the new sidewalk on their cycles.

 

October 11, 1892

 

Bethel:  Machinery is being installed at the new butter factory.  Many of our farmers are buying creamers (separators). A fine building has been erected and it is hoped that this industry will be in operation soon.

 

Benjamin R. Bryant has sold his farm and gone to his new home in Lowell, Mass. Work is progressing on the Barker home on Vernon Street.

 

Grafton: George Blanchard and Cash Twitchell (a New Hampshire company) are building a railroad through from Berlin. They have about five miles completed and cars running on the line.  They will extend the road through to the Grafton line this season and say they will haul 12 million of spruce from Riley and Grafton this winter and the coming spring to Berlin.  They intend to have forty horses in one barn and fifty or more men to tend them.

 

 

East Bethel: The farmers here are holding meetings in regard to building a corn shop. A committee of three has been chosen to make the contract.   Miss Trask and scholars are preparing appropriate exercises for Columbus Day. Z.W. Bartlett sold his cider mill to John Carlton of Newry.

 

Wilsons Mills:  Dr. Edward Spaulding and his nephew and Mr. Rufus Baldwin came down from Camp Caribou the 27th of September as well as guides John Olson, M.C. Linnell, Fred York and R.A. Storey who came down for the season. Messrs Bearce and Wilson of Lewiston have been up the past week letting logging jobs. R.A. and G. Twitchell of Milan are up the Magalloway prospecting for timber.

 

Rumford Falls: New business: Bryant & Lander of Kingfield, Maine are to open a hardware store in the Shaw block and they have bought a lot from J.C. Fogg and are at work on the foundation for a large building. J.A. Badger has sold a corner lot on Congress and Bridge Streets to a party from Vassalboro.  William Coulombe of Berlin Falls is building a large boarding house on River Street.

 

Engineers from Massachusetts Electric Engineering Co. were here regarding the site for the light station. The hotel is expected to be completed this month.

 

The (Rumford Falls) Power Co. has let the contract for the approaches to the west end of the bridge to James McGregor. There will be 10,000 yards if earth and rock excavations.

 

West Bethel: The fair held by the Chapel Aid realized about $50. Farmers are very busy gathering the last of their crops. Snow on the brow of Bear Mountain in Gilead has warned them that cold weather is coming.  Fred Ordway has a carload of barrels from Gorham for packing apples in, costing 21 and ½ cents each.  Apples are good in the vicinity and the early ones find a ready market in Gorham and Berlin, NH.

 

A.S. Bean has the Albany road machine handled by Freeman Bennett filling in the many creeks on the interval of the old home farm so that a mowing machine can operate there.

 

Our public library has been placed in charge of its librarian, Ira Lowell. (?)

 

October 18, 1892

 

Rumford Falls: New buildings- Corner of Exchange and Canal Streets A.
E. Bartlett is building a foundation for  Joseph Hall of Gorham, NH.
Franklin Street – Edward Francis of Bath, Maine is building two houses for Granby, Vt. Parties. Knox Street – Everson of Everson & Liddle Contractors has bought ten lots in the residence section, plans building on six lots this fall. Hancock Street – one house by Howard & Babb. Congress and Bridge Streets – three story building by J.A. Badger. Congress Street – a store, Baron & Baker. Houses for the Paper Co. are going up. River Street: A. Cote new house.

 

Paper Company mill: The boiler makers are putting up a large smoke stack five feet in diameter and 165 feet high – not guyed.

 

Water system: Pipe is here; C.W. Talcott of Woonsocket, Rhode Island is expected to start installation soon.

 

West Bethel: Farmers are investing in Cooley creamers (cream separators) preparatory to furnishing cream for the Bethel butter factory which is scheduled to start up November 1st.

 

Maud Merrow rides a bicycle to and from her school on the Flat Road, a distance of two miles.  Dexter Mills has closed his blacksmith shop here to work for the Wild River lumber company there.

 

Gene Mills has sold his farm to A.S. Bean who owns the adjoining one formerly occupied by his father, D.F. Bean. The two farms were formerly one, and are again reunited after a separation of fifty years or more.

 

Northwest Bethel: A house is being built over the mineral spring on Seth Mason’s farm (Echo Farm?) and improvements are being made near it.

 

Wilsons Mills: John Olson had his hand badly hurt recently by the premature explosion of a large fire cracker. He has been to Colebrook to see a surgeon. 

Eagles are creating havoc among the poultry around here. M.D. Sturtevant and Donald Cameron and Fred Taylor each have taken a logging job of Bearce &
Wilson Co of
Lewiston.

 

October 25, 1892

 

Bethel: Mr. A.T. Rowe has nearly completed the changes to the (his recently purchased )  Hammons property on Broad Street.  He has put an extensive veranda on the main part of the house; shingled and painted; removed the old shed and made great inside improvements. In fact he has renovated the whole establishment and it is now one of the most desirable of residences. The fence which formerly surrounded the yard in front has been removed, a marked improvement.

 

Methodist church society: a successful concert to benefit the society was given at Odeon Hall.  The ladies of the society held their annual harvest fair at Pattee’s Hall. An antiquarian supper was served.

 

The new Methodist church is about finished and will be ready for use in about two weeks. The pews have been ordered costing $500.  Mr. Fickett, the pastor, just the man for the place, is very popular.  The church will cost about $3,000 and be a great improvement over the old church blown down more than 12 months ago. Every man and women gave freely toward the rebuilding of the church. Among the contributors were Judge Foster and wife, $250., E.C. Rowe, C. Rowe each, $100, John Swan, $100, C. Bisbee, $100, M.C. Foster, Waterville, $100, the late Timothy Chapman of Milwaukee, $250, Ira C. Jordan, $50, A. Chandler, $50, and lots of other from $25 to $75.

 

Professor Wight will arrange an old folk’s concert at Pattee’s Hall with the joining in of the best singers around Bethel and the county. The singers will come dressed in clothes of ye olden times.

 

Butter factory:  The factory is completed and machinery in process of being installed. It will be ready for operation next week. 500 cows (from neighboring farms) have been secured to furnish cream.

 

Albany:  W.W. Bird is doing quite a business butchering lambs and carrying to Bethel Hill.

 

Rumford Falls: New Corporation formed to manufacture Sulphite pulp. George Fletcher – principal stockholder – claims mill will be one of largest in Maine, and will be built this winter.

 

The Paper Co. is distributing 16 inch cast iron pipe from the upper dam to the mill.  Machinery is expected soon.

 

Portland and Rumford Falls Railway: due to increased amount of freight a new engine has been ordered. “It is a daisy and I think outrivals the other big freight engine.”

 

Maxwell Bros. have finished the abutment on the east side of the river and have put an extra force on the other side of the river quarrying and laying a base. Another derrick has been set up.  “A bridge seems to be the greatest necessity here at present.”

 

C.W. Talcott and a crew of 40 Italians will start work on the sewers here soon.

 

A Mr. Field of Exeter, NH, came to look over opening a furniture store here. W.V. Lander (from Kingfield) is doing a good business in stoves, hardware, etc. 

 

Among the visitors this week: Judge Wilson, Daniel Emery, Jr., George Fletcher, Hugh J. Chisholm and C.W. Talcott.

 

We notice a sign on the Shaw Block, “Hotel Rumford”, and shall be glad when the hotel is opened.

 

West Bethel:  Seth Mason has been gathering up a few sheep in this vicinity for stocking his Echo Farm at Northwest Bethel.

 

Mason: Herbert Bean of Albany is repairing the mill and house of F. I. Bean. Ed Merrill of Bethel has been at work on our school house.

 

Gilead: the Grand Trunk plans to build a new, very much needed, depot here this winter.

 

We took a trip to Rumford Falls a few days ago and found it worth the time. A great change is being made and it looks as though somebody was spending a lot of money with a good prospect of getting it back with good interest.

 

A.S. Hodgman is building a stand near his house to be used as a grocery and confectionery store.

 

Locke Mills: The spool mill shut down Monday night and all hands went to a squirrel hunt on Tuesday. The defeated side is to give an oyster supper next Tuesday evening.

 

Newry: The school at Newry Corner celebrated Columbus Day in the vestry of the church.

 

Columbus Day Celebration in Bethel:  Forenoon exercises at Gould Academy began the observance. At 1:00 PM a procession was formed in front of the GAR Hall consisting of different school and societies of the place. The march continued through the principal streets to the academy grounds.  The president’s proclamation was read. Then the flag was unfurled with three good cheers – followed by singing America and saluting the flag.  The march continued to Odeon Hall where there was appropriate singing and remarks by Prof. Merriman and prayer by Rev. Fickett. Addresses adapted to the occasion were given by Rev Fickett of the Methodist church, Rev. Beem of the Universalist Church, and Judge Woodbury.  Besides those in the hall many gathered outside. The procession marched to martial music and many school children were present.

 

Congregational church harvest supper: People gathered in large numbers for the occasion. Supper was served in what was formerly the vestry, now used as a dining room, as the elegant new chapel does away with the need of it for its old use. The fine memorial chapel is finished in the best manner, well furnished, made cheerful by good lighting and a pretty fireplace.

 

Methodist church reconstruction:  Part of the memorial windows have arrived and are in place.

 

On October 17th, J.H. Hamilton organized a lodge of the Good Templars – regular meetings are on Saturday nights.

 

Rev. Hardy former pastor of the Congregational church visited here from Waterville. He was pastor here for seven years. (He also filled in at the 2d Congregational church after the death of Rev. Garland.)

 

The Universalist society will build a vestry for their church and have received a goodly amount of pledges. They plan to start working at once and hope to have the addition closed in before winter.

 

Bethel building news: Mr. E.C. Rowe has torn away the old platform in front of his store and is now putting in fine granite curbing in which he will lay brick the entire width of his store front.  E.B. Goddard is building quite an extensive addition to his furniture establishment on Main Street.  Mr. C.R. Adams is building a stable in connection with the house just erected for Eben S. Kilborn on High Street. Barker’s new Vernon Street house is closed in.

 

Dancing school opened Friday evening at the Opera House under the tuition of J.H. Haselton.

 

November 1892 Presidential election – many voted for Harrison but Democrat Grover Cleveland won. The new butter factory opened.

 

November 1, 1892

 

Rumford Falls Publishing Company: A new Rumford Falls enterprise has been organized to carry on a local publishing and general printing business. Officers of the Rumford Falls Publishing Company were: President, Waldo Pettengill, Rumford Falls; Treasurer, E.N. Carver, Canton; Clerk, George Noyes, Portland; Directors, Waldo Pettengill, E.N. Carver, Harry A Lane, Auburn, A.K. Morrison, Rumford Falls, and A.D. Park, Hartford.

 

The company has purchased the plant and business of the Canton Telephone, Dixfield Citizen and Rumford Falls Echo, previously published at Canton.  Mr. Carver of Canton was editor and manager.  Mr. Lane of Auburn was experienced in printing and will run the job printing office. A new office was to be located at Rumford Falls.

 

Rumford Falls.  A new corporation organized in Portland has the charter to manufacture Sulphite pulp and fiber here. Capital stock was valued at $200,000. President was Allan W. Fletcher, Detroit, Michigan; Treasurer, Hugh F. Chisholm, Portland. Bids were opened for the contract of setting in foundations for the mill but the appointed contractor’s name was not yet announced. 

 

New buildings: Atwood & Lowe, grain dealers, will operate from a new three story building equipped with electric motors for grinding corn, oats, etc. Foster & Weymouth have leased a lot for a mill to manufacture doors, sash, blinds, etc. The mill will be two stories and 40 by 80 feet. Joseph Hall of Gorham, NH, has a store going up on the corner of Exchange and Canal Streets. The Shaw Block’s stores were all leased. 

 

Portland and Rumford Falls Railway: To build the Mechanic Falls to Danville Junction extension was on the week’s agenda. Six bids were opened.  They were all rejected because of a change in route plans. Bidders were given an extension of time.

 

Water system: C.W. Talcott started laying pipe just above the mill and the excavation for pipe installation at the upper dam has started. Forty Italians have arrived here to work for the Light and Water Company

 

Dam: Work on the last section has begun. The water level has already risen 18 – 20 inches above the falls.

 

West Bethel: The Chapel Aid society will incorporate soon.  It is soliciting funds to build a new chapel in the village.  Some cider is being made at the mill near John Barker but Stephen Libby’s mill in Albany is preferred. Apple buyers were offering $1.35 to $1.60 for No 1 grade and $1.00 for No. 2. Some parties offer $1.00 each for good young turkeys.

 

November 8, 1892

 

First year’s snow storm was reported on November 2nd.

 

East Bethel:  Columbus Day was observed with an extensive, patriotic program that explained important historic events over the past four centuries.  Teacher Grace Trask prepared the program.

 

Mason: Farmers were getting ready to furnish cream for the (butter) factory (in Bethel). Several have bought Cooley creamers.  The selectmen with D. E. Mills will re-check the boundary line between Mason and the Fryeburg Academy Grant. A.S. Bean has let a job to Mr. Perkins to cut a thousand cords of timber in this town the coming winter.

 

Bethel: A meeting has been held at the new Methodist church. No pews have been put in yet – chairs and settees were used.  Goddard Brothers have a fine new hearse with new trappings. S.N. Buck of Norway has opened an insurance office in the Kimball Block.

 

Albany: T.G. Lary from Gilead was at the Corner to hire Tyler Cole to cook for a logging crew this winter.

 

Bethel:  A new enterprise is on in the form of a $15,000 hotel to go up next summer. A Mr. Rowe from Boston, brother of E.C. and Ceylon Rowe, merchants of this town, has made arrangements or is now making them, to purchase three acres of land on Chapman Street, for the purpose of building this elegant hotel. Mr. Kilborn sells the lot.  So Bethel is just booming. Four new buildings are now going up, and many more will be erected next spring.

 

A new watering trough has been installed at the foot of the common (north or south end?). It is a gift from Robbins B. Grover of Brockton, Mass.  John M. Philbrook sent a load a car of livestock to go to Brighton Market.

 

At Odeon Hall Mary Livingston gave a lecture on “Concerning Husbands” that has been very popular – proceeds of the evening will benefit the Bethel Library.

 

West Bethel: The four inches of snow that fell last Wednesday brings all the young cattle home from the back pastures. Some (farmers) are waiting to shift their young cattle for cows to furnish cream for the butter factory which is about to open in Bethel.

 

Rumford Falls: The water is flowing over the upper dam.  The river level has been raised 20 feet there and at Rumford Center – five miles up the river about four feet. Ethan Willis – contractor for the light station – has started work. Fred Carroll is foreman for the Light and Water Co. Work has started on trenches for the water and sewer lines near the corner of Hartford and Congress Streets.  There is an advertisement out for 100 workers, pay $1.75 per day.  The bridge abutments are done and now the contractor is waiting for delivery of the iron superstructure.

 

Newry:  Mrs. John Danforth has left town and joined her husband for their trip to Florida.

 

November 15, 1892

 

Rumford Falls: Digging water and sewer trenches creates a sight: 125 men throwing up large mounds of earth and stone. The sewer pipes will be laid 11 feet deep.  Many inhabitants of the Island will put water into their houses this fall.  Light and Water Co will put 15 arc lights in the business section this fall. Incandescent lights will be put into most of the stores, the hotel, railroad station and many private residences.  Dr. Cameron from Lubec, Maine has started medical practice here.  A drug store will open in the corner store of the Shaw Block when the building is finished.  Babbitt Bros., of Lewiston will open a first class clothier’s shop next to the post office. Lots on Congress Street sell for $525 to $575, last June they were going for $400.

 

Albany:  “my privilege to  ... vote for (President Benjamin) Harrison on the 8th - 52 years ago I cast my vote for his grandfather.”

 

West Bethel: Six inches of heavy snow. Travel is on runners - ground not frozen at all.

 

A few of the interested citizens of this place formed a corporation under the name of the West Bethel Union Church Society. They plan to erect a church in this village in the spring.

 

Greenwood:  Much excitement on Election Day - Greenwood went Democratic by a nineteen majority.

 

Locke Mills: Box supper at Mt. Abram Hall this Saturday. All ladies are requested to bring a box of eatables.

 

Mason: After a long time we have got our schoolhouse done, and have one of the best schoolhouses in this section. We have received the  furniture from Vermont School Seat Co. of Rutland, Vermont.

 

Bethel: Elections passed of quietly here. The vote was 30 less than in September and the Republican plurality the same, viz. one hundred.

 

The stone work for the foundations of the vestry or addition to the Universalist church has been put in.

 

The butter factory has started operations. Not so many cows are represented now as there will be later. We dropped into the Bethel butter factory and found everything in running condition. The finest of butter is manufactured here and sent away. The farmers seemed pleased that they can dispose of their cream at satisfactory prices and obtain money for it.

 

The Alpine House will be open for company hereafter at $1.00 per day with good rooms and tables. Six inches of snow fell last week and lumbermen are making the most of it.

 

Gould Academy will close its fall term next week. The school was never in a more flourishing condition. Prof. Merriman is much praised. Bethel village’s two schools closed their fall term this week. 

 

Charles Bryant, superintendent of the Bethel town farm raised 400 bushels of yellow corn and 150 bushels of potatoes.  There are only three people at the town farm now. One of the three, Mrs. Dorcas Goodnow, who is over 70, has made 18 quilts.

 

November 22, 1892

 

Gilead:  Parties from Locke Mills have leased the steam mill (the former Skillings mill that was sold to American Bobbin, Spool & Shuttle Co.) here of the defunct syndicate and will put in three thousand cords of birch this winter.

 

The Grand Trunk has begun foundations for the new depot. They will build a new one to be heated by steam.

 

Bethel:  Some of our Democratic friends went to Gorham, NH, to celebrate the “glorious victory” (election of Grover Cleveland as president).

 

A bell has been hung in the tower of the fire department building.

 

A pipe organ has been installed in the Universalist church. Mr. Melville Smith came from Augusta to set it up.

 

Mr. S.N. Bock has moved into the Sanderson house in Kimball Park; he has an office in the Kimball block where he does insurance business.

 

Mr. Tilton is the manager of the butter factory. He has moved into the house on Park Street recently vacated by C.H. Adams.

 

Gould Academy closed the 12 week fall term on Friday.  Mr. Merriman, the principal, is generally thought to have been highly successful for his first term here.

 

West Bethel:  The Grand Trunk Railway is building a stock yard at this station for the purposed of loading stock on the cars. J.M. Philbrook has bought considerable stock in this vicinity during the past week. E.B. Shaw and A.W. Grover will load a car of potatoes at this station for Nealey & Miller of Lewiston. A.S. Bean is making arrangement to handle more lumber during the coming winter than ever before.

 

Mason: The cream gatherer for the Bethel (butter) factory has commenced to gather cream in this town and vicinity.

 

A.S. Bean is driving pulp wood today, the 16th, - highest water for the season.

 

November 29, 1892

 

Bethel:  The Democratic jubilee here attracted 125 for the procession. Berlin and Norway bands furnished music.  There was fireworks and supper served at the Bethel House. But fewer showed up than expected.

 

In the Cole Block, the dry goods store of the Huse Brothers has been remodeled by the removal of partitions between front and back rooms making the store appear larger.

 

Praise for the butter factory: The butter factory is turning out some butter that is pleasing to both the eye and the palate. This factory is a grand thing for this section.

 

A scheduled course of entertainment, lectures by Prof. H.L. Chapman of Bowdoin, at the Opera House was announced to benefit Gould Academy during the coming season.

 

Mason: Professor Chamberlain was in town last week tuning and repairing pianos and organs.

 

Cows seem to be what we want here now; we are interested in the butter factory in Bethel.

 

West Bethel: Besides the potatoes that Shaw and Grover sent to Lewiston a car of apples has been sent to Sioux City, Iowa - furnished mostly by O.D. and A.W. Grover.

 

People enjoyed watching the shooting meteors on pleasant evenings. 

 

Thanksgiving passed quietly with chicken being substituted for turkey in many cases due to scarcity of turkeys and high prices.  The young people tripped the lively toe at Bean’s Hall in the evening.

 

Locke Mills Fire:  Last Sunday fire broke out at Walter Swift’s place at the foot of Howe Hill. Before help arrived, the barn with its contents of hay, about 40 bushels of oats, harnesses, and farming tools was consumed. A quite heavy wind was blowing at the time and the fire went from barn to house burning the house and most of the contents.  The cause was unknown. Insurance of $800 probably will not cover 3/4s of the loss.

 

Albany:  The creamery gatherer of the Bethel butter factory makes two trips per week to Albany. The farmers in the south part of the town sell to the Waterford creamery.

 

John Flint has employment driving a logging team in Berlin, NH, at $25 per month.

 

 

December 1892- change in location of county seat to South Paris made the rounds; 

 

 

Correspondents overall had plenty of wry or negative comments after hearing  news that South Paris wanted to have the county buildings located there from Paris Hill. 

 

 

December 6, 1892

 

Bethel:  Pinckney Burnham who was buried Monday was one of Bethel’s oldest citizens.  He always occupied a conspicuous place in Bethel’s business community.

 

There are to be five assemblies at the Opera House in December. The dancing school has been directed and coached by J.H. Haselton of Norway.

 

The Bethel Hill post office was burglarized but little was taken. The thieves entered through a window. Democrats from here went to East Bethel to help their brethren celebrate (the election victory of Grover Cleveland over Benjamin Harrison).

 

Wilsons Mills:  John Olson’s family spent Thanksgiving Day with Mrs. Olson’s aged mother, Mrs. M.W. Fickett, who is quite feeble.

 

Locke Mills: E.L. Tebbetts and R.D. Rand are getting out birch at Gilead and are going to saw spool stock there in the old Skillings mill.  (Gilead’s correspondent reported on the mill being restarted, also.)

 

The opening ball at Mt. Abram hotel by the new proprietor, W.H. Tracy, was given last week. Twenty-seven couples were in the grand march and about sixty people partook of a nice oyster supper. Bacon’s Orchestra of Bryant’s Pond provided the music.

 

West Bethel: A.S. Bean will employ large numbers of men and has put out several contracts to supply lumber for his several mills this winter. He has put thousands of dollars into roads for hauling his timber.

 

Snow covers the ground but not deeply enough to use runners.

 

East Bethel:  Democrats held their celebration, parade and illumination Monday the 28th of November. A bountiful baked bean supper with pastries, etc., was served at James M. Bartlett’s. Grace Trask has started the winter term of school here. She boards at Fred C. Bean’s

 

Gilead: William Chapman (Chapman Homestead Farm) is making preparations to clear his lot in Newry of spruce. He has a crew making the camp and cutting roads. He expects to get 500,000 (feet of spruce.)  J.W. Bennett is repairing his mill and is putting a new foundation under the boiler and engine.

 

One of the Wild River Lumber Company’s engines is at G.T.R. Co.’s shop in Gorham, NH, for repairs.

 

Albany: Abel Andrews of Albany is collecting cream for the Bethel butter factory.

 

December 13, 1892

 

Bethel: The Bowdoin Alumni Association of Oxford County held it annual banquet at the Bethel House last week with a good attendance. Judge Foster was toastmaster for the occasion that included dinner at 9 o’clock.

 

Northwest Bethel:  Herman Skillings has taken 25,000 feet of hard wood to haul to the Bethel chair factory.

 

Locke Mills: Wanted: Why doesn’t some good enterprising blacksmith come here to work? The old blacksmith shop is vacant. There is plenty of work. Our citizens now have to go to Bethel or Bryant’s Pond.

 

East Bethel: Commentary: Petitions for and against the removal of county buildings are in circulation in this place.

 

West Bethel: Your correspondent is shut in from the news this week, having lately become minus of teeth, leaving 22 holes in his jaws to take care of.

 

Petitions are being circulated here for the removal of the county seat to South Paris. Many are known not to have signed them.  The average farmer has to struggle to meet taxes and the necessary running expenses of the farm and household for the past ten years and as one of them, I am not ready to be taxed from $3 to $4 on a thousand to meet the expense of new county buildings at this time.  Our jails and records office should be made safe and fire proof and a tax for that purpose can be met without an effort by the people, nine-tenths of whom never have an occasion to go to the county seat.

 

Scarlet fever is going around and school attendance in the village is reduced because of it.

 

Newry: A lodge of Good Templars has been instituted in Newry and a number of young people are joining each week.  There is good sledding from Grafton Notch up through to the lakes but this side of the notch wheels must be used.

 

J.A. Thurston has recently bought a span of horses in Boston – large nice looking animals. The Spinneys are getting out dowel timber for Thurston’s steam mill at Newry.  Mr. Thurston intends to run his birch mill in Ketchum again this season.

 

Albany: There has been movement in selling meat stock.  Hutchinson & Carter are buying large beef for the Lewiston market.  Our people are well supplied with beef at moderate prices.

 

Rumford Falls: One car load of ironwork for the bridge has arrived.  Furniture is being set up in the Hotel Rumford; water and sewer pipes have been connected to the hotel.

 

Chase and Gilbert of North New Portland have leased on of the corner stores in the Shaw Block and intend to stock it with a nice line of groceries.

 

Everson & Liddle have finished one of the abutments of the Hartford Street Bridge.

 

Grading for the new depot grounds (vicinity of the end of Hartford Street Bridge) is almost completed but work on the station will not be started until spring.

 

Greenleaf & Merrill are rushing their work on the new Sulphite mill.

 

 

December 20, 1892

 

A real old fashioned snow storm arrived this week.

 

Oxford County as South Paris Views It.

 

Page one of the Democrat was largely filled with a picture of the Franklin County Buildings at Farmington and a two column discourse by the committee advocating a move of the county seat and new county buildings to be located in South Paris near the Grand Trunk Railway station.

Some of the reasons advanced for new buildings were: No room to hold Probate Court, state jail commissioners have condemned our jail, county records are not adequately protected from destruction by fire, etc.  As to location, the committee pointed out that most of the people coming to do business at the county seat come by rail and for those travelers Paris Hill is less convenient than a South Paris location would be.  The committee discussed finances at length.  (This debate would continue throughout most of the year of 1893.)

 

Bethel:  The second in the Opera House – Gould Academy lecture series took place with public approval and generous attendance.

 

Rev. Mr. Jordan who has been filling the pulpit at the Congregational church has been accepted by the society as its permanent pastor.

 

The Universalists are planning a Christmas tree at Pattee’s Hall to which the public is invited and on Christmas evening there will be a Christmas concert at the Universalist Church.

 

A village corporation meeting has been called to discuss purchasing a Roberts snow plough.  The second matter is that of keeping the village sidewalks cleared of snow.

 

Mr. Tilton is the manager of the Bethel Dairying Company. He came here from the butter factory at Buckfield.  He is credited with the factory turning out some of the finest butter.

 

Mr. Horatio N. Upton, one of our selectmen, and Miss Clara F. Twitchell were married at the home of E.C. Chamberlin (formerly a Twitchell family home) in Mayville.  The Columbia Club met recently at Mrs. Frye’s home. This club’s members include some of the leading ladies of the village. It is of a literary nature.

 

At last week’s academy lyceum the debate question of Canadian annexation was ably discussed.

 

Newry: Arthur Holt has a contract for 200 cords of birch from J.A. Thurston at Newry Corner.  A little son of David Fleet of Sunday River died suddenly a week ago.  At the Poplar Hotel, Mrs. Roxanna Godwin married  Mr. Penley of South Paris. Four inches of new snow fell.

 

East Bethel: At last we have enough snow for sleighing but there is no crossing the river on ice.  All teams going to Andover, Hanover, etc., cross the river at Bean’s Ferry near Newry Corner.

 

Gilead: The Wild River Lumber Company has bought 100 horses in the west to put in the woods here.

 

I believe that the county buildings are well enough where they are and there is enough money in the treasury to make needed repairs.  Why not let well enough alone?

 

West Bethel: There will be no public Christmas gathering here on account of the cases of typhoid and scarlet fever.

 

The fine butter made at the Bethel butter factory from the cream of these farms is creating an interest among the farmers in that direction. We understand that the butter factory cannot keep up with the demand for its fine product.

 

Addison S. Bean has sold his farm to Henry Verrill and has purchased Rev. A.H. Witham’s farm in Mason.

 

 

Wilsons Mills: The latest news from the floating hotel, designed and owned by John S. Danforth, manager of the Parmacheenee Club, is it lay in Boston harbor several days. It was visited by hundreds of people who were curious to see the new venture in ship – or house - building, whichever it may be.  Twenty-five cents per head was charged; the receipts amounting to $50. a day. It sailed for New York, November 27, where several sportsmen had engaged passage out to New Smyrna (Florida), the headquarters of the boat, and from there will make fortnightly trips up the Indian and Hillsboro Rivers. (Hillsboro River is located in south Florida).

 

December 27, 1892

 

Bethel: A contract has been let for building the addition to the Universalist church that is to be used as the church vestry. Lumber is expected to be delivered soon and work begins.

 

Locke Mills: The E.L. Tebbetts & Co is paying $4.75 for birch the balance of this month.  The card party at the Mt Abram hotel was an all around success.

 

West Bethel:  A.W. Grover represented the Pleasant Valley Grange at the state grange held in Lewiston.

 

Our cases of scarlet fever are now considered to be German measles.

 

Protests against building county buildings at South Paris are being supported in this vicinity.

 

Rumford Falls: The Chemical Association has completed their mill and will start up as soon as water is let into the canal. All of their machinery is of the latest and improved patterns. It has the largest dynamo ever built by the Thompson-Houghton Company. They will manufacture caustic soda and bleaching powders.  They expect to produce about 3 ½ tons per day this winter and increase to 40 tons per day.

 

There is a change in contractors working on the railroad embankment that will run in back of the paper mill. McGregor Brothers Company is now the contractor.

 

Lawrence Webster of the Massachusetts Electrical Engineering Company was here this week to decide on plans for the water wheel used at the electric light station.

 

 
 

 

 


******End of 1892 Journal*****