July 1892 – new grandstand, seating 2000 at fair grounds; new
paper mill building construction started – Rumford Falls.
James L. Chapman and Charles P. Bartlett plan to erect a mill on Swift River,
at Gammon’s Falls for the manufacture of birch. Building the mill will begin
soon. Mr. Chapman says he intends to put in 1,200 cords of birch for next
year’s sawing. Products of the mill will be shipped out on cars of the Rumford
Falls railroad. This is one of the many enterprises which the recent
developments at Rumford Falls have made possible.
joint convention of the towns classed with Bethel was held here June 25th.
Bethel will select a candidate for the legislature in 1892 and in 1898 under
the arrangements made at the convention.
John M. Philbrook is having
the former Chapman house which he removed to High Street put into condition for
renting.Work is progressing on the
foundations for his new house on Main Street. Mr. Merriman, the new principal
of Gould Academy, was here preparing for the new term. Goddard Bros. have moved
from 21 Railroad Street to 41 Main Street.
West Bethel: The
Lodge of Good Templars here has dissolved. East Bethel: The last drive
has cleared the river of logs on June 30th. Northwest Bethel:
A gang of gypsies went through here a few days ago bound for New Hampshire from
eastern Maine. Mason: The last rain has made the water in Pleasant River
the highest for the season but A.S. Bean’s drive is hung up again and may
remain where it is.
July 12, 1892
voting procedures – Australian ballot. Bethel selectmen have appointed as
election clerks, Albert Grover and E.C. Park, Republicans and J.B. Chapman and
Fred B. Howe, Democrats.
F.K. Beem is the new pastor of the Universalist Church and will occupy the
house in Kimball Park formerly occupied by Rev. F.E. Barton.
glorious Fourth passed off quietly. There was baseball and races at Riverside
Park in the afternoon. A new grandstand capable of seating some two thousand
people has been built at RiversidePark. A
number of pines were allowed to stand – the trees will extend up through the
stands to give both shade and beauty.
convention for the selection of a Republican candidate for Representative to
the Legislature from Bethel
district was called for July 16th.
work has been completed on the outside of the new Methodist church building.
Work on the inside finish is underway by C.H. Adams. GouldAcademy’s
fall term will open on August 30th. Water for the chair factory
boilers will now be supplied by the Bethel Water Company. Preliminary work of
the Bethel Dairying Company has started and the butter factory seemed to be an
big Fourth of July celebration in Newry took place at the Poplar Hotel – they
put on a good display of fireworks. Quite a number of men from this town have
gone to Portland to
look for work haying. E.F. Stearns sold his pulpwood to Ansel Dudley. Stearns
is driving it down Bear River;
this is the fourth drive on the river this season. West
Bethel: A warrant was sworn out for the arrest of Ed
and Victor McPhee for kicking and beating Henry Stiles of Fryeburg Academy
Grant. When Sheriff Wormell came to arrest Victor he had to fire three shots at
the man when he tried to escape into the woods. The fugitive eventually gave up
having been seriously wounded in the back by the second shot.
July 19, 1892
Savings Statement: June
8, 1892. S.D. Philbrook, President and A.E. Herrick,
Resources included: Maine city
and town bonds: $14,500;
State, city and county bonds of other
Loans on mortgages of real estate92,918.
Loans on collaterals11,192.
Total Liabilities and Resources$218,680.
building on Church Street
occupied by Mr. R.E.L. Farwell below and by the Bethel Library above is being
repainted outside so that it has a much improved appearance. The library rooms
have been repaired and enlarged with the result of much better quarters. (See
Added comment re: Bethel Library:
This building was
described, as repeated below, in Rosalind R. Chapman’s article surveying the
history of Bethel’s Church Street buildings in the December 1980 edition of The Bethel Courier.
A restaurant and store from 1926
until 1973, this building on Church St. housed the Bethel Library in 1892.
“The first school building in town
was here soon after the beginning of the nineteenth century.On the 1858 map it was marked as owned by
William Gerrish, probably used as a store. (J.) Lucas operated a store here in
1880. He was followed by R.E.L. Farwell in 1889. Mr. Farwell soon moved his
business to Main Street but in 1904 he had moved back to
this location. S.S. Greenleaf had an ice cream parlor in the early 1920’s
here.Alphonse Vandenkerckhoven also ran
a store at this location. Mrs. W.L. Farwell assisted by her daughter, Mrs. Lena
Wight, bought the store in 1926. They ran a grocery store, ice cream parlor and
restaurant.Albert Cotton purchased the
establishment in 1945 and continued to operate the store and restaurant here
until Harry Kuzyk bought it in 1963. The Kuzyks remodeled the building and
operated the business (Campus Malt Shop) for several years until selling to
Harold (“Tater”) Young (Young’s Restaurant). Later the George Gilberts operated
the Village Restaurant here. After Mrs. Young’s death in 1973, it was sold to
William Lynch. During his occupancy it was gutted by fire. It was subsequently
purchased by Wilbur Myers and remodeled into two apartments.”
(CONTINUING ON WITH THE JULY 1892 NEWS)
Summer boarders are coming in
fast. George H. Shirley and family of Brooklyn, NY,
have returned to their summer home.
Prof. William R. Chapman and
family of New York City,
with friends, occupy their summer residence in Mayville. Their retinue of
horses, Shetland ponies, carriages and dog carts, with their liveried servants,
is quite an attraction on our streets.
A summary of boarding houses follows:
S.B. Twitchell accommodates: 20 guests;
Mrs. A.W. Valentine: 25;
Deacon E.C. Chamberlain: 16;
the Locke’s in North
E.P. Grover in West
The Alpine House, Bethel Hill: A. Chandler, 20.
Judge E.W. Woodbury submitted the Bethel news
A party of the summer boarders staying at the Locke Mountain House in North Bethel prepare for a day long
excursion. They most likely have packed picnic baskets provided by the
Locke sisters. Note the croquet layout in the foreground. The book “I Was a
Summer Boarder” by Ruth Crosby tells the story of life as a summer
vacationer at the Locke’s.A number
of boarders later became full time residents of Bethel. (Photo from Daisy A Crosby’s
photo to enlarge it.
Corporations and persons paying more than $100 in 1892 taxes are
listed in the table below. Amounts are rounded to nearest dollar. The full
report listed 42 taxpayers including those in the following table plus
taxpayers owing more than $50 in taxes.
American Bobbin, Spool &
Edwin C. Rowe
John M Philbrook
Bethel Chair Co
West Bethel/ Mason:J.H. Bean, Esq., the Mason correspondent to the Democrat is the nominee
of the Republicans for representative from the district composed of Sweden, Stoneham and Mason.
Mason: Your correspondent visited the new city of Rumford Fall last week.
Business is rushing and we noticed a change where in our opinion the streets
might be improved by pounding down some rocks and grading near the business
center of town.
RumfordFalls:On July 14th, the first brick in the construction of the
paper mill was laid. The foundations are nearly done. A.B.Tower, an eminent engineer and
architect of Holyoke prepared the plans for this mill.
Mr. Hardy S. Ferguson, a graduate of the Thayer School of Civil Engineering, is
the resident engineer in charge of the paper company’s plant. The directors of
the Rumford Falls Paper Company held
a meeting here last week.President:
Daniel Emery; Manager: Garret Schenck and Treasurer: Col. E.H. Haskell.
Ethan Willis will build a round house and an extensive car
shed for the railway company. The contract to build the abutments for the
highway bridge was let to the Maxwells of Phillips. The Portland and Rumford Falls Railway has
decided to extend the line along the south side of the middle canal to Hartford Street where a fine and commodious
passenger station will be erected.
Contractors Spofford & Mitchell have already started
to grade this line. J.H. Wardwell has received his post office commission and
by next week mail should be at the new post office.
During July all villages
reported that farmers were busy haying and that the hay weather was for the
most part favorable, the hay crop good.Men who had gone to Portland from
Newry to seek haying jobs there were returning, their work done.
Gilead:During the month of June, the Wild River
Lumber Co. has shipped 120 rail cars of long lumber.
Eben Chapman is remodeling
his buildings and J.W. Kimball is adding a much needed stable to his buildings.
Bean owns two farms and several thousand acres in this town. His crews are busy
haying. Ernest Morrill will put on the river (?) eight to twelve cords of wood
and timber during the coming winter. He has a two or three years’ job.
Politics – Correspondent from Newry speaks up for John M. Philbrook of Bethel who
is the Republican candidate for state representative in this district. “Mr.
Philbrook is a farmer and drover, long a resident of Bethel,
well known all over the county, and a large part of the state as a shrewd and
successful business man.”
Bethel:Mr. H.A. Packard has purchased the “Goddard
house” on Main Street from
P. Burnham. The Congregational church Ladies Club put on a well attended
entertainment program at Ideal Hall.
The Bethel Water Company has
extended its pipe line through High Street.
August 1892 – Rumford Falls,
passenger train service began; Bethel Dairying Association buys Church Street lot for butter factory;
Nelson the Harness Racing Hall of Fame trotter visits Bethel.
Regular passenger train service over the RumfordFalls
extension of the Portland and
Rumford Falls Railway began August 1st.“The early train left the new
city at ten-minutes past four and
was followed during the day by three other trains each way.” According to the
correspondent the new service actually began on July 30th when
regular trains passed through to RumfordFalls to
be ready for Monday’s schedule.
The regular afternoon
passenger (Conductor Moore’s train) was the first to arrive and that reached RumfordFalls a
few minutes before . This train was made up of a combination mail
and baggage car, and two new passenger coaches and made a very pretty
appearance as it wound its way up the river bank through the fertile intervale
farms of the Androscoggin
valley.At Dixfield Station, opposite
the village, the train was met by a large audience accompanied by the Dixfield
Brass Band, and given a rousing greeting with band music and cheering.
Contractors Mitchell &
Spofford still have much work to do on the line including grading and
completing sidings. “Their gravel train is still busily at work putting the
finishing touches on to the finest new line of railway in Maine.”
Bethel:Skillings Mill leased
back.Julius P. Skillings has bargained
for the stock and leased the birch mill here of the syndicate assignees and is
now running it.
Horse trot excitement: It is
a mark of great enterprise on the part of the managers of Riverside Park
Association to get “Nelson” (renowned trotter) here.Eminent horsemen from New
York and Pennsylvania have
inspected our track and pronounce it best half-mile track in New
W. S. Parker has rented the
store in the Cole Block formerly occupied by the Cole Bros.Parker has bought the furniture business
from the Coles and has rented two additional rooms adjacent to the store for
finishing and a carpet warehouse.
to have a resident insurance agent soon. Mr. Buck of Norway is
to locate here.
East Bethel:A large crowd enjoyed the novelty of
springboard dancing but the reporter did not indicate where the dance party was
held (Alder River Grange?).
August 9, 1982
Maine News – Railroad News:The railroad commissioners have approved
methods of heating for the various Maine
railroads. The Grand Trunk asked to have the Baker hot water heater, the same
now used on the road. But that was not accepted. The Grand Trunk will use the
Martin, Sewall, McElroy steam heating system during the next year.
RumfordFalls – The New Railroad:Business has been brisk over the Portland and
Rumford Falls Railway since the opening of the extension to RumfordFalls.One excursion trip carried a large SabbathSchool
picnic group of 800 persons to picnic grounds at LakeAnasagunticook. The
reporter wrote that the road is equipped in a manner second to none in the
state. Two passenger trains run each way daily and on Monday and Saturday a
third train is added to the schedule.
train leaves RumfordFalls each
morning at ,
reaching Dixfield at , Canton at , and Buckfield at , and arrives at MechanicFalls at . It makes connection
with Grand Trunk trains. The return train leaves MechanicFalls at , the Buckfield at , Canton at , Dixfield at and it arrives in RumfordFalls at .
Conductor Arthur Allen’s
train leaves MechanicFalls each
morning at ,
connecting with the early train on the Grand Trunk Railway for Portland,
etc.There is a Saturday train that
leaves MechanicFalls for
Rumford at and
arrives at RumfordFalls at .
The arrangements (of these
trains) are first class for the accommodations of the public and the public can
take advantage of the excursion rate during August to visit RumfordFalls –
(Falls) of New England.
Gilead:The Republicans of this town held a
flag-raising followed by an enthusiastic gathering at the town hall.The meeting was presided over by H. P.
Wheeler and speeches addressed state and county issues.
Bethel: W.S. Parker has added to his
stock of furniture and carpets in his store within the Cole Block that he recently
took over from the Coles.He will also
do upholstering and repairs.
The Bethel Dairying Company purchased a lot from A. Ward
on Church Street (below the Gould Academy athletic field) where Benjamin Bryant
is at work putting in the foundation for their (butter) factory.
The Democrats caucused at the
office of R. A. Frye on July 30th.J. R.Howard was nominated as
candidate for representative to the legislature for this district.
The 13th Maine Regiment held a reunion
in Bethel on
Mills news:The steam
mill has started up under the management of J.P. Skillings who has leased it of
the American Bobbin, Spool and Shuttle Company. (Julius Skillings had managed
the mill as the Skillings owned Bethel Steam Mill Co. before it was sold to the
AB,S & S. Co in 1890.)The stock of
goods which was in the store connected with the spool mill was moved to Charles
Mason’s store on Main Street
where it will be disposed of at auction.
George L. Merrill, former manager of the spool
mill (same mill as referred to above) here has leased the mill at Dixfield of
the AB, S & S Co. and is there running it. Merrill’s family is still in Bethel but
will probably move to Dixfield.
RumfordFalls:Contractor Ordway with a crew of fifty
Italians has started work on the Chemical Company’s mills.Maxwell Bros. have opened a quarry on River
Street near Hartford
Street. Much of the stone for the
abutment (of the new bridge) on the east side of the river will be taken from
The freight trains are loaded
heavily and the freight station will have to be enlarged if this order of
things goes on. Spofford & Mitchell have a large crew of Italians lowering
the track at the curve near the east end of the canal. The contract for
building 1000 feet of the lower level canal has been let to Everson &
Liddle of Providence, R.I. J.S. Smith & Co. are excavating for the immense
penstock to be used by the paper company. Messrs. Allen & Sons of the
Worcester Steam Boiler Works are expected soon to place them (the penstocks –
large water pipes). William J. Perkins has taken a contract for fifty thousand
feet of hard wood lumber to be used in planking the upper dam.
F.E. Bell of Norway,
salesman for the Noyes & Nutter Mfg. Co. of Bangor, Maine, was
Mills:Albert and Archie Green went
to Shelburne, N.H., on
the train and came down on bicycles in three hours.
Bethel: The Rubenstein Club of Lewiston gave
a concert here Monday followed by a social hop.(William Rogers Chapman organized the first Rubenstein Club of women’s
voices in New York City in
1887; the Lewiston
club’s formation was likely a consequence of the spreading news of the
favorable acceptance of the initial singing club in New
York. Anton Rubenstein was a Russian pianist
and composer and Chapman had chosen his name as the name for his women’s
Bethel:Mrs. Augustus Chapman is visiting the “Homestead”
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
party of young people from here visited RumfordFalls
August 9th. “Their report was immense.”
Bethel: The big event of the summer
occurred over at RiversideTrottingPark when
the great trotter Nelson was on hand for special races, Thursday and Friday,
August 18 and 19.The ladies of the UniversalistChurch had
a special pavilion erected that was forty feet long and two tables wide to
serve a bean supper with accompaniments to those who were attending the
races.Reports from Newry, East
Bethel, Mason and RumfordCenter
indicated that many planned to attend the event.The Bethel
correspondent reported, “This has been a busy week in Bethel.
Nelson has been here and crowds of people have seen him. There were some good
races. Mr. Nelson (the famous trotter’s owner) pronounced the track one of the
best in New England.”
According to a Harness Racing
Hall of Fame website, Nelson was bred by C.H. Nelson of Waterville, Maine who
trained and drove him through out his long career. Nelson lived from 1882 to
1909, 27 years. On September
6, 1890, he set a world record for a half mile track by
trotting it in ¼
minutes.Nelson’s career record was set
in 1893 at RigbyPark in South
Portland when harnessed in a new low
wheel “bike” he trotted against the clock for .He died December 4, 1909 at
Sunnyside Farm, Waterville, ME.
Chair makers excursion:On August 27, the Grand View Commandery,
U.O.G.C., will unite with the chair-makers of Bethel, Gilead, West
Bethel, Locke Mills, Bryant’s Pond and West
Paris for an annual excursion to Portland and
the islands.The excursion committee
was: Mr. J.H. Barrows, Mrs. E.C. Rowe and Miss E.E. Burnham.
The 13th Maine Regiment had a reunion
in Bethel with
dinner served at Ideal Hall.
Albany: W. W. Bird is busy supplying
the Lovejoys of the Bethel House (Bethel Hill) with lamb and chickens. Lovejoy
has his two houses booked to overflowing.
Gilead: William Chapman has over
twenty acres of oats which he is cutting with a self-binding reaper.
River Lumber Company is extending its railroad up the river four miles.
There are about 100 men grading and laying the track.
RumfordFalls: Construction progress: W.F.
Putnam has the hotel (Harris) up and the walls about closed in. The building is
75 by 72 feet, three stories high, six stores on the first floor and a hotel on
the second and third stories. Completion is expected in December. S.H. Rogers
has a crew of masons building chimneys in the hotel.
At the mill, Wm Allen &
Sons have three of the large penstocks in place. S.S. Ordway has about fifty
men at work on the foundations for the ChemicalAssociationBuilding.J.S. Smith & Co. has a crew putting in
the masonry for the head gates in front of the Paper Co. works.
summary of building progress: It was just two years ago when the Rumford Falls
Power Company started work here. Since then a dam has been built across the Androscoggin,
head gates and a masonry wall 200 feet long near the dam, a canal excavated
1500 feet.Work commenced on one of the
largest pulp and paper mills in the State; chemical mill for the manufacture of
bleaching powders, etc, 15 or 20 dwelling houses and stores erected, numerous
streets graded, commencement of another dam at the head of the falls,
commencement of lower level canal, railroad built from Canton, fifteen miles,
branch tracks and every facility for handling freight from the mills. No boom
but steady growth.
Bethel: The corn factory is set to
start up on Monday, September 5th.Last week’s Universalist fair at the Opera House turned out well. Eben
S. Kilborn’s new house on High Street is well under way with C.H. Adams taking
Hon. Nelson Dingley,
Republican, addressed a good audience at Odeon Hall; he spoke on a number of
political issues of the day. Dingley was Representative in Congress from the 2d
Congressional District of Maine.He was
born in Durham
(1832 – 1899); he was governor of Maine from
1874-76; his full name was Edward Nelson Dingley, Jr.
Note: At this point no news correspondent had reported how the new
hall had come to be renamed "Odeon Hall" from Cole's Hall. The online
dictionary, dictionary.com, says this about Odeon: "A
kind of theater in ancient Greece, smaller than the dramatic theater and roofed
over, in which poets and musicians submitted their works to the approval of the
public, and contended for prizes; -- hence, in modern usage, the name of a hall
for musical or dramatic performances." When inquiring for help to
the Bethel Historical Society, Director Stanley
Howe replied as follows: "We are told that Joan Stearns
Kilborn (in 1892, wife of First Selectman, Eben Kilborn) was the reason that
the hall became Odeon following her Greek tour in 1907." So apparently if
Mrs. Kilborn suggested the name Odeon she did so based on her reading and
knowledge of ancient Greece because the new name was “on the street” before
August 30, 1892.
West Bethel: A.S. Bean’s threshing machine
that is set up to use his mill’s power is being patronized by farmers for five
miles around.Mr. Bean is making
extensive improvements on his old homestead which he has lately purchased from
his father, D. F. Bean. Arthur E. Barker, son of John Barker, Esq., is at home
from Washington, D.C.,
where he has a prominent clerkship in a government department.
Thurston, our merchant, has bought the farm of Benjamin R. Bryant near Bethel
Hill (actually Mayville). (This was a
landmark announcement:When Thurston
moved from Newry Corner to Bethel, it signaled the beginning of the dissolving of Newry Corner’s core
of enterprises owned and managed by Jacob Thurston for the benefit of the
community. He provided a store, a mill with its employment, and a public hall.)
September 1892 – fall elections using Australian ballot favorably
handled; the second Bethel Fair - very popular, RumfordFalls grows; Bethel creamery/ butter factory takes shape.
Among the Farmers:
(Among the Farmers was a regular front page column printed in the
weekly editions of the Oxford Democrat.This column disseminated valuable farming information including the use
and effectiveness of new farming practices. In this column, the writer
describes the use of “community farming” by the Shaker Communities in Maine and New Hampshire.
Abstracts of the column are presented below:)
COMMUNITY FARMING – THE
ALFRED FAMILY OF SHAKERS – MODEL FARMERS – MUCH OF VALUE AND INTEREST TO
Community farming on a large
scale and under the best methods has but one or two examples in Maine, and
seldom has been the subject of report or description in farming journals.
By the term “community
farming” I refer especially to that carried on by the communities known as
Shakers, of which there have for many years been three families in this state,
viz: at Poland, New
Gloucester and Alfred. Several years ago the families at Poland and
New Gloucester were consolidated.More
recently the families at Alfred and New Gloucester have placed themselves under
In general I believe it is
true that communities seek no publicity concerning their operations, and if
they are extensive, successful or in any respect such as may be cited as good
example farming, they are the last to speak about it, and few seldom find out
It is a common saying that
Shakers are good farmers. Thrift and economy play a large part in the
principles of management and the Shakers follow these principles with the
If model farming is carried
on by them it is of such a character that individual farmers cannot well adopt
the same, either in part or whole, therefore they give little attention to
their methods which are often deemed impracticable of being followed by
individual farmers upon smaller farms.
Yet I am sure that the
intelligent farmer, anxious for new ideas and for advancement, cannot fail to
learn from a careful study of the system and methods in use by communities.
In the area along the
Androscoggin River from Gilead to Rumford Falls, the alternative to “community
farms” was the cooperative venture or association.
In the Bethel area, the corn
canning factory and the creamery/butter factory were good examples of cooperative
The economics of the
cooperative venture was to transfer commodities into cash using the cooperative
or associated group as a method to produce economics of greater scale.In this regard, agriculture in these relatively
rich growing areas worked like the linkage between logging forests and
operating mills.The results appeared in
the form of consumer goods, canned corn and butter, in the agricultural field
and wood products from the logging field. These goods were sold for cash not
Strengths and weaknesses
existed for both types of agriculture: Family farms depended on the strength of
a single family to renew itself and to accumulate profit, where new generations
of members either assured continuance or abandonment.Community farms were governed by their
cultural belief mechanisms which cast roadblocks into the path of their
continuation into new generations of member farmers. Community farms as much as
single family farms needed profitability to continue. In cases like the New
Gloucester farm, agricultural sales were supplemented with craft sales to
support the “community family”.
Sample ballots were printed in this edition:
Republican:Henry R. Cleaves of Portland;
F. Johnson of Waterville;
Prohibition: Timothy R. Hussey of North Berwick.
Republican:Nelson Dingley, Jr. of Lewiston
Democrat:Daniel McGillicuddy of Lewiston
Prohibition:Ammi S. Ladd of Auburn
For State Senate:
Republican: Addison E. Herrick of Bethel and
Oscar M. Remsky of Buckfield
Democrat:William N. Thomas of Oxford and Charles Rankin of Hiram.
Prohibition:Ethan Wills of Paris and Henry Irish of Buckfield
For Representative to Legislature
Republican:William Stickney of Brownfield
J. Hastings Bean of Mason
John M Philbrook of Bethel
James Abbott of Sumner
John A. Roberts of Norway
Frank L. Warner of Rumford
Bradford Cole of Brownfield
John Ames of Sweden
Joshua Howard of Hanover
Mandeville Hall of Peru
Ira Johnson of Norway
Joseph A Kenney of Paris
Alvin B. Ordway of Denmark
Virgil Dunn of Norway
N. Johnson Cushman of Paris
W. H. Looney of Portland will
speak in Bethel to explain the Australian ballot system.
The Universalist Sunday
School held a picnic at Riverside Park. A musical and readings program is
scheduled for Ideal Hall by the Congregational Church. Gould Academy opened the
fall term on Tuesday with a reported good attendance. The Methodist church
society held a lawn party and fair at H. R. Godwin’s. C.C. Bryant’s meat store
will be closed while he and Mrs. Bryant are on vacation.
Gilead:William Chapman will run a threshing machine
through here this fall. Political pot begins to boil – Prohibition party will
have a flag raising here soon.
Newry:M.L. Thurston has moved from the Kilgore
place to E. F. Stearns house.
Bethel:A.S. Bean’s enterprises:Bean has finished threshing at his mill; the
beans are taking a vacation at the seashore; J. Hastings Bean of Mason will
look after his mill while the Beans are away. Jotham Chapman is painting the
Bean’s boarding houses.Joseph Mason who
is foreman of the Grand Trunk yard in Portland is
RumfordFalls:Fred Howe of Bethel has
nearly finished a house for J.E. Stephens.
H.J. Chisholm and George
Bisbee, president of the Rumford Falls Power Company were in town last week.
Mitchell & Spofford have
started laying the branch track along the south side of the middle level
canal.About 85 men are building the
upper dam.Contractor J.A. Greenleaf of Lewiston was
here to check progress on paper mill construction. Work will start soon on the
electric light, power station and the water system.
Real Estate Transfers:Bethel, 4
transfers; Greenwood, 1;
Rumford: Rumford Falls Power Co., 12 transfers, plus four other individual
RumfordFalls:A Jefferson N.H., man, Joseph Labreque, is
building a three story structure – first story for a store and the other two
for tenements. Work has started on the waste-way near the entrance to the MiddleLevelCanal. The
paper mill is slowly assuming shape with the roof of the finishing room nearly
completed and the walls of the machine room finished in about a week. Four of
the large nine feet in diameter penstocks are in place and the head gate
masonry is underway. Contract has been let by the paper company for 12 houses
in the residence section – contractor is Mr. Summers of Portland.The Power Company has streets in the business
section under construction and will start soon on streets for the residence
section. The Power Co is receiving bids for the superstructure of the Hartford
Street canal bridge. Maxwell Bros.
have two thirds of the east side bridge abutment completed and have started laying
stones on the west side. Prominent visitors this week included: George d.
Bisbee, Hugh J. Chisholm, Daniel F. Emery, M.G. Shaw, T.R. Simonton, C.D. Brown
and E.H. Haskell.
Mills: John M. Wilson and family of Groveton are visiting relatives here –
are at John Olson’s.
Ladies Arion Quartette gave a pleasing concert at Odeon Hall. Ceylon has
just returned from Boston and New
York where he has been to buy his line of
fall and winter goods. The corn shop is running full time with a big business.For the fair next week, the paper prints an
appeal for men and women to do their best in creating fancy work, art and fruit
and vegetable displays in the “hall” (former church) at the fair. Also,
reported is the news that the hall is to be repaired and put into a fine
Election results for Governor:
Cleaves, Republican, 67,530
Johnson, Democrat, 54,958
Hussey, Prohibition, 3,329
voted: Cleaves: 285; Johnson, 185 and Hussey: 3
Bethel: Former town clerk, S.S.
Abbott is in town from Denver, Colorado.
Abbott read law in the office of A.E. Herrick and is now assistant district
attorney in Denver. A
Ladies Complimentary Lunch party at Ideal Hall was enjoyed where whist, dancing
and a social time entertained the crowd.
election passed off quietly. Little difficulty encountered in using the new
system and nearly everyone expressed the opinion that it is what we want.
A.T. Rowe, Esq., of Boston is
here to make extensive repairs and additions to his house on Broad
Street. This house is the former Hammons
House that Rowe bought over a year ago. Frank Barker is putting in the
foundation for his new house on Vernon
Street. Everyone expects a large
attendance at the fair.
RumfordFalls:Business parties from Portland and Auburn
visit.Eight new buildings were going up
in the business district, five on Congress
Street, two on Canal
Street and one on River
Street.Two men, Coulombe and Bake are preparing a
large building’s foundation on Congress
Street. Work on the mills and
writes that it was a light vote in town for a presidential year. Democrat
Howard received 37 votes to Republican Philbrook’s 30.C.R. Bartlett who had owned the Poplar Hotel
has bought a hotel at Bryant’s Pond.
reported exhorts the Bethel farmers to show interest in agricultural exhibits
at the fair next week. “Bring out the
fruits of the soil. Let us do credit to our calling and carry the baskets well
filled.”As for this correspondent,
he is going to be there with 30 varieties of apples of his own raising.
Bethel: The corn factory finished packing last week:
300,000 cans at 95 percent filled with No 1 corn.The Wyman owners say it is their best year
Our fair passed off most
Last Sunday, Mrs. Roxanna
Twitchell, widow of Alphin Twitchell, was buried at the Mayville Cemetery from
her home at the house of E.C. Chamberlin.She was about 76 years old. (Mr. Chamberlin was a son-in-law of Alphin
Locke Mills: Many attended the fair at Bethel. The fairs at
Riverside Park improve annually.An
extension of the old sidewalk is built up through the village to the top of the
Albany:Justice Aspinwall died. His
funeral was under the direction of the Odd Fellows. The justice was born in
England in 1840. In November, 1861, he enlisted as a soldier in the 5th
Maine Battalion and served throughout the war. He belonged to the Free Mason,
Odd Fellows, the Grange and the “Grand Army”.He has had four wives. He was a liberal contributor to the
Congregational church here for 23 years and was previously a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church.
Maine News Notes:
Railroading – General Manager Tucker of the Maine Central has issued a circular
to all employees of the road instructing them to see that stations, buildings,
cars and premises occupied by the company be kept absolutely clean as a precaution against cholera.Disinfectants must be used freely and all
passenger cars thoroughly cleaned.
The Maine Legislature:The newly elected legislators will stand the same on joint ballot as the
last one did: 137 Republicans to 43 Democrats- Senate 30 Republicans, 1
Democrat; House, 107 Republicans, 44 Democrats.