Text Box: The Bethel Journals
THE 1892 JOURNAL
Part II: April - June
Posted: May 3, 2007

  

 

 

 

    

 

      Home   1892 Part I        1892 Part III       1892 Part IV       April         May          June   

 
 

 

 

 

 

 


April 1892 – dry spring weather slowed logging drives; Cole Block fully rented; Garland Memorial Chapel dedicated.

 

April 5, 1892 (Democrat)

 

Northwest Bethel: All kinds of vehicles are seen on the “streets” now. H.A. Skillings gave his team a free bath in the river a few days ago. Sugar making is in order now.

 

Newry:  Walter Foster has returned from Parkertown where he has been two-sledding for H.T. Chase. Willie Powers came from Magalloway with his team. James Bartlett’s teams came out last week.  E.F. Stearns is planning to move to Bethel Hill this spring. J.S. Allen is making ready to start his meat cart on his old route as soon as the traveling will admit.

 

Bethel: Plenty of sand in our streets. At this time of year we see the need for good sidewalks.

 

First fire station in Bethel: Bethel Village Corporation has purchased the Kimball Block store recently vacated by Miss. E.E. Burnham for Bethel Hose Co. to occupy.

 

Mr. S. D. Philbrook is erecting a building on the lot below his house to be occupied by his son Dana who will go into the jewelry business soon.

 

Business at the Cole Block is active. It is all rented.  Mr. Cole intends to occupy a portion of it. Miss E.E. Burnham has rented two rooms for her stock of millinery goods. Huse Bros., formerly of Lewiston, have one side of the front of one side of the block and are putting in furnishings. They have landed a large stock of goods and will carry a full line of dry goods. One member of the firm has rented the J.F. Rich house on Main Street and will live there.  Cole Bros. will put in a full line of carpets and furniture, occupying the large store in the rear of the block. They will also put in a line of jewelry in the rooms back of the rooms occupied by the Bethel Savings Bank.  Elmer D. Cole of the firm will remain here and attend to the Bethel business, while his brother will continue to run the business in Washington. Both are young men of enterprise.

 

Fred A. Clark has purchased the Levi Twitchell stand in this village.

 

Gould tuition payment vote repealed: At the special town meeting last Thursday the town voted 147 to 107 to rescind the vote whereby at the annual meeting $800 was appropriated to pay tuition of town scholars at Gould Academy.

 

Middle Interval: Circle met March 31st with M.E. Kimball.  Charles Demeritt and sons from the Hill are carrying on Deacon Holt’s sugar place. Charles Kimball started for Colorado April 4th.  W.W. Chase is working with N. Kimball sugaring.

 

Albany:  The sisters and other friends of Mrs. Clifford Wheeler of Bethel were at her funeral Wednesday. She was a native of Albany.  Warren Beckler has gone to Intervale, N.H., to work for the season at his previous place of employment.  Archie Cole has gone to Jackson, N.H., and other towns in New Hampshire on a business trip.  Theron Cummings has commenced sawing wood for his neighbors with horse power.  Three illnesses were reported, one case of la grippe.

 

Mason: Fine weather and poor roads – it will be wheels in a few more days.  Will Mason has got home from Wild River where he has been with his team working for Rob Hastings. He reports a bad winter for logging.  Oscar Mason seems to be quite successful in the hen business. He keeps about forty – most Plymouth Rocks. He is getting about two dozen eggs a day.

 

Who has a good cow to sell? I want one and am willing to pay for a good one.

 

April 12, 1892 (Democrat) THE STUDY OF THE CLIMATE - THE WEATHER BUREAU WANTS THE CO-OPERATION OF FARMERS ALL OVER NEW ENGLAND.  Is our climate changing?  Do we have warmer winters and colder summers than formerly? Do we have as much snow as used to fall?

 

Locke Mills:  The assignees of the American Bobbin, Spool & Shuttle Company are running their mills here on full time. We understand that the contractors of birch and spool stock are to get their pay without deduction.

 

Newry:  Mud time now. A few windy, drying days will make the going better. Parties are throwing in pulp wood all along the banks of Bear River. Will Warren has got in a large lot of spruce pulp wood at Little River, North Newry, which is now being driven out.  J. A. Thurston has a crew on Stony Brook driving for Leslie Mason. M.L. Thurston has about 200,000 of long lumber now being driven down Bear River. And at Dunn’s Notch Mort and Mac Thurston are beginning operations with close up to three millions to handle

 

On Sunday River, Bake and Guy Thurston have a large lot of logs to run out, also quite a quantity of pulp wood.

 

West Bethel:  News from this place did not appear in your columns last week by appeared this week from the side pocket of a student at Gould Academy to whom they had been entrusted to place in the office.  We forgive him this time hoping the neglect was caused by his close attention to his school work.

 

Spring-like weather seems to indicate early peas. Farming may come before woodpiles are worked up.  It may favor the farmers who are short of hay. Some have sold their lambs for $3.25 per head.  The first chickens of the season are coming out at Ed S. Smith’s this week – he has 28 hens setting.

 

A.S. Bean is putting eight hundred cords of pulp wood into the head waters of Pleasant River in Mason and Albany- having some trouble with its spreading over the meadows in the high water.

 

Jerome Myers who had been injured by a tree fall in Fryeburg Academy Grant died. His friends took his body to Prince Edward Island for burial. The town had cared for him after his injury.

 

Bethel: A platform has been placed in front and along the sides of the new Cole Block adding much to the looks and convenience of the building.

 

Roberts & Capen have nearly closed out their stock of goods. C.C. Bryant has put in a small stock of groceries which he will carry in connection with his meet business.

 

Mrs. E.A. Chase has been spending the winter with her daughter, Mrs. A. E. Herrick. She returned to Boston to visit friends then return to Bluehill.  George J. Hapgood has been making some improvements to his store.

 

Middle Interval:  Merrill Chandler and family have returned from Gorham and Berlin, N.H., where he has been in business for the winter. C.C. Bean is sugaring on his place but lives at the Hill. E.W. Woodbury’s letters are very interesting.  Signed: E.P.K. (?)

 

East Bethel:  A poor season for maple sugar makers. A large box of Florida oranges were distributed in this place last week – they were large and sweet. Many thanks are returned to Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Bean – who will start on their return trip home about April 11th.

 

Albany:  Our people are driving their lumber down the small streams and find it rather slow business for lack of water. Fernald & Flint have started their mill – employing five men. 

 

The ladies circle met with Mrs. Angel Bean – good attendance.  A. G. Lovejoy of Mason visited with us on his way to Otisfield where he will close his sales of apples and hay.

 

The Cosmopolitan of April gave its readers here an interesting account of the crew of a Trans-Atlantic Liner; also some idea of the size of these large steamships. The crew has 414 men -the engine, has 18,000 horsepower, requiring the consumption of 300 tons of coal every 24 hours.

 

April 19, 1892 (Democrat)

 

Northwest Bethel: The Rowe buildings on the homestead farm are being painted red with white trimmings.

 

Bethel:  Memorial Day. Col. A.S. Bangs of Augusta will deliver the memorial address at the Congregational Church. Brown Post will hold exercises at Newry this year.

 

Cole Bros. have filled their store with a large line of furniture and carpets, rugs, baby and doll carriages, etc.

 

The selectmen have rented as an office one of the front corner rooms on the second floor in Cole Block and are now occupying it.

 

Dana C. Philbrook will open his jewelry store soon on Main Street.  E.B. Jackson has vacated the house of W.W. Hastings in Kimball Park and moved into the Chapman house on Spring Street.  Mr. Hastings will thoroughly repair his house which will be occupied by George L. Merrill, manager of the spool and dowel mill.

 

Mr. Nathaniel F. Brown has purchased the hardware business of Seth Walker & Son on Main Street and is now ready to serve customers.  William Ames now occupies the grocery and confection store recently occupied by I.M. Durkee.

 

A public examination of teachers is announced for April 23 at Gould Academy. The first baseball game of the season was played on the common between town boys and those of the academy.

 

Prof. Leslie A. Lee of Bowdoin College will give his lecture on “A Trip to Labrador” at the Congregational Church April 21st.  The lecture will be fully illustrated with the aid of an oxy-hydrogen stereopticon. Lecture proceeds will be devoted to the Bethel Public Library.

 

Middle Interval: Another run of sap. Several have taken in their buckets too soon.

 

Mason:  A.S. Bean has taken out one drive of pulp wood from Albany through a ditch in the meadow. He has 300 cords to drive down Pleasant River but does not have enough water.  Dr. Morton of Bethel was in town this week to attend the sick ones. Wheeling (road conditions) is quite good in town.

 

East Bethel: Miss Emma M. Brown is in charge of the store and post office while Mr. and Mrs. Crooker are away on vacation. Z.W. Bartlett is having his house painted with two shades of drab, with red trimmings. Charles Swan is doing the painting. He is also re-shingling his house and barn and making other repairs.  George Hastings has gone to Washington, D.C., on vacation.

 

Albany:  There will be entertainment at the Congregational Church on April 21st.  The wonders of the phonograph which is considered the greatest achievement of science will be exhibited. J.H. Haselton the exhibitor will probably add music if there is time. A large audience is our hope.

 

April 26, 1892 (Democrat)

 

 Bethel: Easter concerts were held at both the Congregational and Universalist churches on April 17th.  The Water Company has several applications for new water service which will be completed at once.  William Ames has moved his stock into the Harris store near the Common. 

 

A May 3rd ball is planned to be held at the Cole Block. Work on the floor of the hall was in progress last week. Callahan’s Orchestra of Lewiston will furnish the music and there will be a grand concert prior to the dancing.

 

 Rev. Barton preached his farewell sermon at the Universalist Church last Sunday – he leaves for Mechanic Falls. He has been in Bethel three years. Fast Day was observed by a union service at the Congregational Church.

 

Eben S. Kilborn has sold his mill property in this village to Isaac Morrill.

 

At the Republic Caucus last Saturday the following Bethel delegates were chosen to attend the state convention at Bangor, April 27th:  G.P. Bean, Ceylon Rowe, A.M. Carter, John Barker, and C.M. Kimball. Delegates to the district convention at Auburn April 26th were: E.S. Kilborn, E.B. Shaw, A.S. Bean, T.H. Jewett, and R.J. Virgin.

 

Middle Interval:  Ladies Circle will meet at Mrs. Frank Russell’s home. J.S. Swan, Bethel, Maine has (seed?) potatoes for 60 cents a bushel in barrel lots delivered at the depot, or 50 cents at his store. Order at once for the stock is limited. D.M. Kimball raised 100 bushels of the Harbinger potato from one barrel of seed, which came from G.W.P. Jerrard, Caribou.

 

Albany: Alma Johnson is engaged to teach the Clark District. Alice Wilbur, who is now in Boston, has been invited home to teach in the Dresser District where she taught last year. Simon Grover and a friend took two bushels of smelts from a pond in Stoneham in one evening. Horace Fisk is engaging our farmers to plant sweet corn for North Waterford.

 

Northwest Bethel: Milton Penley is building a line fence between his pasture and Scott Wight’s.  Herman Skillings is building a hen house.

 

Locke Mills: A.G. Woodsum of Mechanic Falls is selling carriages in this vicinity. A.E. Libby and Frank Gary are painting O.P. Farrington’s buildings.

 

Mason: The mill is at a standstill on account of trouble with the gate at the water wheel. Rev. Mr. Peare will preach here another year. A.S. Bean has finished sawing birch at his mill in Mason.  Some farmers are starting to plow – ground warm and dry.

 

Newry:  The river drivers are straggling home. Now is the time for fencing, ploughing and hauling dressing.  Only Hebron variety potatoes are being accepted at Bethel depot and then for only 25 cents a bushel. No other kind wanted.

 

Scott R. Godwin has hired the Poplar Hotel and will take possession soon.

 

 

May 1892 – Godwin brothers acquired Poplar Hotel in Newry; dedication of Cole Bros. hall; fire station alterations.

 

 

May 3, 1892 (Democrat)

 

 

West Paris: The Pioneer Chair Company has closed their mill. There is money to be made in the chair business if run with a finish department. Note: In July 1886, James Barrows, who had been manufacturing chairs at West Paris left for Bethel due in part to a condition of saturated chair manufacturing conditions that existed at the time or would soon exist.  A national economic downturn was in progress in 1892 and would worsen in 1893.

 

Wilson’s Mills: Spring logging drive. Wilson of the firm of Bearce & Wilson is up overseeing the starting of their timber.

 

Newry: I notice my Nova Scotia neighbors are building a Virginia snake fence, the first I have seen since I was out west.  J.S. Allen intends to start his meat cart next week after visiting his mother in Stoneham. Mason Bartlett went to California hoping to see improvement in his health. His parents Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Bartlett of the Poplar Hotel plan to join him there.

 

Gilead: William Chapman has 100 young lambs. Low water has slowed down John Wight from sawing his birch. Not much farming done yet.

 

Bethel: The dedication of the Garland memorial chapel of the Congregational Church took place last Thursday, April 28, 1892. This chapel is a great addition to the church and is most commodious and convenient.

 

Huse Bros. have opened the new store in the Cole Block to the public. They have a large stock of dry and fancy goods and a very attractive store. J.U. Purington has had his old stable taken down and removed, a new one is going up.

 

Isaac Morrill who recently purchased the Eben Kilborn mill has purchased the Wentworth house of P. Burnham and will occupy it.

 

George L. Merrill, manager of the American Bobbin, Spool & Shuttle Company’s mill here (the former Skillings’ Bethel Steam Mill) has moved to Bethel from Locke Mills into the Sanderson house in Kimball Park.

 

The J.G. Rich pension agency of Bethel has granted pensions to Joseph Oliver, $12 per month and over $200 back pay and to Mrs. Mary Gray widow of the late Dr. Gray of this village of $8.00 per month and $150 back pay.

 

There will be an Arbor Day supper at Pattee’s Hall on May 6th.  The Academy Minstrels will entertain.

 

Albany: Dexter Cummings has got his birch sawed into spool strips and is sticking it for seasoning. His 10 year old son sticks 2,000 a day.  Mrs. Nancy Andrews and Anna K. Cummings were at Bethel at the dedication of the Garland Memorial Chapel. F.P. Stanley has purchased the Lawrence and the Hicks farms and intends to occupy the Lawrence farm. Abel Andrews is helping Dr. Wiley in Bethel for a few days.

 

 

May 10, 1892 (Democrat):

 

Bethel: Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Skillings of Boston were in town last week.

 

Students of the academy gave a supper and entertainment at Pattee’s Hall on Friday. Entertainment consisted of music and recitations. The village school opened Monday, May 2nd. The May ball was well attended; Callahan’s Orchestra of Lewiston furnished the music.  The Universalist’s will have their annual parish meeting and supper at Pattee’s Hall on May 11th. Rev. and Mrs. B.F. Fickett are the new leaders of the M.E. Church at Bethel Hill.

 

Middle Interval: Circle met at Mrs. Russell’s on May 5th. Other names, visits, etc, Flora Richardson, music, Mrs. JS. Swan was interred at our cemetery on May 5th.

 

Newry: Our new hotel keepers, the Godwin Brothers will take possession of the property (Poplar Hotel) in a day or two. They were born and brought up in this town.

 

Samuel Eames who is 97 has been hale and hearty but seems to be declining; we have indulged the hope that we might soon be able to boast of an actual living centenarian in our midst.

 

One of the new enterprises in the lakes region is happening at B Pond, Upton. John Fair of Boston, is building a new house on a small island in the pond

 

Albany:  Our selectmen have purchased two pair of large oxen and a road machine and have begun mending our “ways”.  Our town house is being re-shingled, clapboarded and painted and the inside prepared for honest voting (booths and desks needed for elections to be held using the Australian ballot procedures).  J.P. Mason has the job.

 

May 17, 1892 (Democrat)

 

Bethel: Misses Ellen and Jennie Gibson have left for Colorado where they will be employed as teachers.  Cole Bros. have put full scenery into their hall and have furnished it with new settees.

 

The fire department building is being fitted up. Two sets of double doors have been placed in the front, and a tower is being built. A paper is being circulated to raise funds for the purchase of a bell to hang in the tower. Tickets are being sold for the dedication of Cole’s Hall.

 

W.F. Lovejoy, proprietor of the Bethel House, has bargained for the Elms Hotel and will occupy it in a short time. On May 23d the furniture in The Elms will be sold at auction.  Mr. Lovejoy runs the Bethel House  with his sons.

 

A baseball game between the Bethel and Norway teams was played on the common – Bethel won.

 

Northwest Bethel:  Various family activities: M. Penley and Seth Mason are building a line fence between their properties. Fred Chapman is working for H.A. Skillings. Charles Stearns’ camp burned down on May 8th – loss was about $100.

 

West Bethel:  Fruit trees are receiving more attention that usual. Although apples were cheap in the market last season, farmers still have faith in the business. Mr. Charles Harris is canvassing this vicinity selling fruit stock for another season and says he receives good patronage. The school in the village and the one on the Flat Road will be taught by Misses Glidden and Edith Grover. On May 10, Susanna (Mason) Scribner, 52, died.

 

Wilsons Mills: The drive of Bearce & Wilson is all through Aziscoos dam and the rear went past Thursday. Frost is out of the Little Magalloway and the main body of the Berlin Mills drive is coming through the Narrows. The Abbott Brooks drive was called hung up and the crew dismissed. Two peddlers were in town with dry goods and ready made clothes for sale.

 

May 24, 1892 (Democrat)

 

New Hall Dedicated May 18, 1892.  Cole Bros. Hall, Bethel, was dedicated on Wednesday and the people of Bethel and vicinity were given a rare musical treat.  The hall is owned by brothers, Fred and Elmer Cole of Washington, D.C. They have erected this building, the first floor of which is occupied by stores and offices and the upper by offices and the magnificent hall that has just been dedicated. One of the largest audiences gathered here was present.

 

Judge Woodbury delivered the dedication address. Concert performances included Shaw’s Male Quartet of Portland, Ladies Cecillan Quartet of Portland, Prof. J. Haliet Gilbert of Boston, pianist and tenor soloist and the Callahan Orchestra of Lewiston provided music for dancing.

 

Left: The new Cole Bros. Hall 112 years after the dedication.  If you faced the stage, the selectmen’s office would be just behind you, connected by a hall way and with windows opening on to Main Street.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Click photo to enlarge.

 

Bethel: Lt. Simeon W. Sanborn died May 16th at his home. He enlisted in Co 1, 5th Regiment, of Maine Volunteers on April 27, 1861.

 

Painters from Norway have nearly finished the Cole Block. Bethel streets are being repaired with the road machine.

 

Judge Woodbury has returned from his trip south (Pottsville, Pennsylvania).

 

West Bethel: The road commissioners are blasting stone from the road near H. E. Grover’s in preparation for the road machine. Six horses belonging to Maj. G.A. Hastings haul the machine this season. Dr. R. G. Wiley still drives around caring for the sick as he has for more than 50 years. Frank E. Kendall has moved into the house of D.F. Bean.


A.S. Bean has repaired and improved the old homestead before the arrival of his father. Mr. Bean is building a dam on
Pleasant River in Mason to carry his lumber out to the Androscoggin. He plans to do a large business in Mason in the future.

 

Other names: Prof. Cook visited; Charles Judkins and wife are visiting; C.D. Ruggles returned from Rangeley with twenty pounds of nice trout; he remembered many of his friends.  Maud Merrow is teaching in Gilead.  Will Tyler is at work for the G.T.R.  Will Shirley has moved into the block opposite the post office.

 

East Bethel: New seats from the Globe Furniture Co., Michigan, have arrived and are being added to the school room. Farmers have finished sowing their grain and planting potatoes and have their land nearly ready for corn. Miss Emma Brown has gone to Bethel Hill dressmaking with Miss Mary Gill. William Swan of Lynn, Mass., is in town settling the estate of his father, the late Eli Swan.

 

Newry: Thurston will get his poplar drive out tomorrow. The spruce pulp-wood is hung up in Little River and will have to lay over. Pigs are plenty on Bear River; they are selling for $2.50.

 

 

May 31, 1982 (Democrat):

 

Bethel: Memorial Day. Observance in Bethel will be by a union service at the Congregational church - sermon by Rev. Mr. Fickett (Methodist church). Brown Post will attend services in North Newry and Col A. S. Bangs is the invited orator.

 

Isaac Morrill is running his mill to its full capacity and still has a large amount of lumber to manufacture.

 

J.M. Philbrook has begun work on his buildings (former Gilman Chapman house) on Main Street. His is taking down the ell and will make many changes.

 

The Methodist church is nearing completion. The masons were working on it last week. When finished it will be one of the prettiest modern churches in the county.

 

West Bethel:  The rain storm last Saturday changed to snow at 5 P.M. and continued nearly all night. In the pastures at the base of Sparrowhawk Mt. snow measured 6 inches. Several sheep were lost that had been recently sheered and were out in the storm. No one remembered a storm of so much snow this late in the season.

 

The rise in water allowed A.S. Bean to get his pulp wood in Mason well started.

 

Albany:

 

This rain is helping our people get their last drive down Crooked River but is putting them back in planting.

 

Mason: F.I. Bean is sawing a quantity of “drag plank”. His mill is one of the old fashioned kinds and he saws drag plank for people all around. They cannot be made as well with a circular saw.

 

Locke Mills: “Work has begun on the gravel banks. The sleepers and some of the track is laid to them.  A crew of about 16 is putting the track in, and will soon be hauling the gravel away with a crew of 30 to 40 men. Mr. Stewart says it will take four months this summer and four next summer to take them (gravel banks) all away.  Work is progressing finely with our new road machine. Roads are wider and better.

 

Newry:  Memorial Day. The meeting will be at the Branch School. Grand Army Post of Bethel will be in attendance. There will be speaking and a picnic dinner provided by the citizens of Newry.

 

Two days of good driving pitch lately will put some courage into the hearts of the river drivers.

 

East Bethel: Sleigh riding; apple and plum trees in blossom loaded with snow, and maple wax cooled on snow the last of May are some of Maine’s excellent treats.

William Swan has returned to his home in Lynn, Mass.

 

 

June 1892 – Rumford Falls:  railway into Falls nears completion; Bethel: work underway at Riverside Trotting Park.

 

During the month of June road crews, teams and road machines (road scrapers) were busy in all the villages. All reported that six horse teams were used.  The West Bethel team of six horses belonged to Maj. Gideon Hastings.  Near the end of June enough rain fell to swell the Androscoggin and move logging drives downstream.  Lack of spring water set back the normal schedule for the river drives that passed through Bethel. East Bethel reported that the last of the drives did not clear their location until June 30th.

 

June 7, 1892

 

 Mason:  The drama of A.S. Bean’s drive down Pleasant River continued. He has not succeeded in get the drive through the meadows. East Bethel:  Pingree’s drive of logs passed down river last week. There are more to follow.

 

Locke Mills:  John G. Tebbetts died at Lisbon a short time ago. He owned the spool mill at this village and furnished a good deal of employment for the citizens.

 

 

Northwest Bethel: Sheep shearing record?  At the “(Chapman) Homestead”, Mr. Haines sheered 82 sheep in one day on May 31st.

 

 

June 14, 1892

 

 Bethel Hill:  John M. Philbrook is moving the main house from the Gilman Chapman lot (in the current era of 2006, The Victoria Inn stands on this lot) to a new location on High Street where he plans to rent it after it is in place.  The ell of the old Chapman house has been completely torn down. Philbrook will build a new house on the old lot.

 

 

Newry:  Funeral services for Samuel Eames (1795-1892) were conducted at his residence last Monday. A large number of townspeople were present.  The deceased was the oldest person in town and the last of a large family, nearly all of whom were long lived.

 

Children’s Day was observed by the Bear River Grange at its last meeting.  S.S. Smith, treasurer of the State Grange was on hand to deliver a short address to the children.

 

 

Rumford Falls Railroad News:  The conversion of the old Rumford Falls and Buckfield Railroad bonds due in 1896 and Receiver’s Certificates due in 1893 and 1895 for the new first mortgage bonds recently issued by the Portland and Rumford Falls Railway is making rapid progress under the direction of Messrs. Fred E Richards & Co. Over one third are reported to have been exchanged.

 

June 21, 1892

 

Bethel: A number of new stalls and sheds have been built recently by the Riverside Park Association on the (fair) grounds. Eben S. Kilborn has the foundation in for a new house on High Street. The U.O.G.C. commemorated the anniversary of the Battle of Bunker Hill at the new Cole’s Hall. The program consisted of music, recitations and a chance supper.

 

Mason: A.S. Bean has a new dam in Mason (Pleasant River) at a cost of $500; it makes a pond of about 20 acres.

 

Newry: “Now that the Democratic Party in the state convention has come out flat-footed for license, there will be an opportunity for the so much boasted temperance element to show their true colors.” 

 

 Mrs. John Danforth, E.B. Knapp is her father, stopped briefly while en route to Camp Caribou, Parmachenee Lake.

 

Local delegates to the County Republican Convention:

 

Albany:  Charles P. Pingree

Bethel:  E.E. Woodbury, J.M. Philbrook, N.F. Brown, E.S. Kilborn, and A. W. Grover.

Gilead: T.J. Lary

Greenwood: Horace C. Berry, A. Herrick.

Mason: J. Hastings Bean

Newry: Willard B. Wight

Upton: A.W. Judkins

 

June 28, 1892:

 

Rumford Falls – railroad and road building progress:  The depot is nearly completed. It is a very pretty building 20 by 120 feet with a freight station in one end and the passenger station in the other. It is painted orange with red trimmings and looks very much like some of the Maine Central stations.

 

Work on foundations for the roundhouse resumed once more after a suspension of a few days.

 

Mr. Willis who had the contract for the station also has the roundhouse contract. The work on this will be done by the day - materials furnished by the railroad company.

 

Bids will be received until July 2, 1892 for building the roads according to the plan approved by the county commissioners. Road specifications are available at the Rumford Falls Power Company office and at the residences of Henry Abbott and J.H. Howe.

 

Newry: 

 

John Danforth of Camp Caribou, Parmacheenee Lake, made a short visit at his father-in-law’s, E. B. Knapp, a few days. He was on his way to New York.

 

West Bethel:  The butter factory is said to be a sure thing in this town. The required pledge of 500 cows to supply the enterprise has been reached.

 

Wilson’s Mills:  A report indicated that on the last Monday of June the temperature reached 94 and in some places 97 degrees in the shade for the entire day.

 

Click here to continue reading the 1892 journals

 

      Home   1892 Part I        1892 Part III       1892 Part IV       April         May          June